Monday 5 October 2020

Stormy Skies

 I didn't go away for my week's holiday!  And now that Storm Alex is doing its worst, I'm so glad I didn't have to pack the car and drive during these wild winds and lashing rain. The beech hedge across the lane is being bent low, as are the taller plants and shrubs in my garden; leaves are swirling round and littering the lane, my front garden and drive; seagulls are screaming loudly in excitement as they ride the turbulent currents above. Of the smaller birds there is no sign: where do they all disappear to? Hopefully they are somewhere sheltered and dry until it's safe to venture out for food and water.

It's so dark! I needed the light on in the kitchen at just after 3pm today and I took these photos of an extremely stormy sky. It was raining too, so please excuse the random raindrops on the camera lens.




When Storm Alex has blown itself out I shall hopefully have a few days out with Benji, find somewhere quiet, which should be easier now that the summer season is well and truly over, where we can enjoy a wander along a beach then retire to the car for a cappuccino and to read my Kindle.  Benji doesn't do reading, but after a drink of water, he should be happy to curl up in his bed on the passenger seat for a sleep after all that galloping around.

My niece, Carole, and her husband, Pete have driven down from their home in Leicestershire for a week's holioday in Cornwall (Mawgan Porth) and we have arranged to meet up at Polzeath on Wednesday to spend some time together.  We intend to buy Cornish Pasties in Polzeath, then Carole and Pete with their dog, Rosie, will walk the coastal path to Daymer Bay - I shall drive there! The dogs will enjoy a run on the beach while we humans will catch up on all our news/gossip. 

Polzeath from the coastal path:


Aerial view of Daymer Bay:

Daymer Bay beach:




6 comments:

  1. I think you made a sensible decision to stay at home. People are being quite irresposible and you are safer away from anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess it was largely through fear that I made the decision; fear that the cleaning wouldn't be thorough enough to guarantee there was no possibility of catching the dreaded coronavirus. But the arrival of Storm Alex with the destructive winds, driving rain and many lanes flooded through run-off from the high fields, made me very sure I was better off staying at home.

      Delete
    2. I miss our holidays mum.. Those beaches and seagulls and all that... one day things can get back to normal and I can come over and stay...

      You’ve beautifully captured the stormy sky outside your door! Wow! The sky looks so dramatic!

      🤗🤗🤗

      Delete
  2. I love the last photo, that looks like my kind of beach :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. Daymer Bay is a favourite of mine. There's always a quiet part to enjoy, either on the sand or on the dunes. An excellent cafe too!

      Delete
  3. Wow, love the look of Daymer . . . my kind of emptiness!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.