Friday 25 September 2020

Should I? Shouldn't I?

 Last February, before all talk of lockdowns and the like, I booked a week's holiday in the dim, distant future.  It was something to look forward to, a chance to walk in a different area and meet up with family members who were due to come down to Cornwall from their home in Leicestershire in the same week. We made plans for walking our dogs together on the beach, returning to a favourite cafe on the cliffs above Bedruthan Steps and enjoying catching up on each other's news since last year. 

That holiday is due to start on 2nd October, a week today.  And after the sobering news from Boris I'm dithering about whether I should go.  There was no mention of travel restrictions in his speech, but reading between the lines, his urging of people to work from home if at all possible seems to indicate that staying at home is the safest thing to do.  Since the start of lockdown, back in March, I have stayed in my home and garden, had my groceries delivered, allowed no-one into my home and even curtailed the dog walks, thanks to people not keeping to the rules of distancing. Should I now take the chance of risking infection by taking this holiday in a different area? Will the cottage have been thoroughly cleaned against Covid? What about the soft furnishings? At one stage I had convinced myself that I couldn't possibly go because I was so worried about the possibilities. 

I'm still undecided. But this weekend will, I think, make things clearer.  If people ignore the restrictions, gathering in crowds at parties, etc., there will be repercussions, as promised, from our Prime Minister and that will influence my decision. 

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. We haven't been away this year and don't intend to, as I just don't feel comfortable about staying in a cottage that however many unknown others have been in before us. Of course, the place should be thoroughly cleaned between guests - after all, if someone caught Covid from a holiday place, then it would be shut down. But you do wonder just how comprehensively they are cleaned....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only you can decide what is right for you. I think further restrictions are possible so the decision could be taken away from you. It is so sad that so many plans have had to be curtailed by everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can meet up with family..even stay with one other section of your family..but only if the total number is less than seven...
    You should be safe to go and stay in a self-contained place.
    It is all a strain. If one uses common sense you should be fine, but home or away the behaviour of other people is a concern, not giving others proper space and not covering their face properly...I despair at the chinhammock masks and people who think that they don't breathe through their nose! You have to laugh..and leave them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Decision made! I decided the risk was too great and having made the decision to forego the holiday, I feel much more relaxed. The added 'bonus' of Storm Alex has reinforced my decision that staying at home is the best thing. I would have been worrying about possible damage being done back home while I was away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.