Thursday 8 October 2020

An afternoon in POLZEATH



My comment about the summer season being over was a tad wrong, judging by the full car park on the beach at Polzeath.  The surfing lessons were very well attended, too, even at £100 for a 2 hour session. This car park often catches motorists out because at high tide it's under water and when it's a neap tide, the water floods over and across the main road.  So it's as well to be aware of these things! I had driven a little further, up the steep hill that leads out of Polzeath, to another car park which overlooks the bay. 

The town was pretty busy but on the whole, people were obeying the distancing recommendations, though some seem to be absolutely unaware of such things. (What planet are they on?)  At one point I sat on the low wall at the edge of the beach when an elderly couple came and plonked down very close to me.  I discreetly edged a bit further away, but then another couple came and sat on the other side of me!  It's a long wall and was mostly empty. . . .  My cue to move elsewhere. I took Benji down on to the beach and let him off his lead - he loved that!  Galloped around, exploring and tagging on to other dogs as they also enjoyed the space to run free.  In my first photo, he thoroughly investigated a washed up clump of seaweed, rope, mussel shells, salty sticks, etc. Oh such wonderful tastes and scents!  He also did an excellent job of hoovering under the outside tables after a family with children had been having tasty food there. Mmmmmm . . . 

The lovely view from the car park I used, overlooking the beach and sea. Just below where I stood, what used to be part of the car park is now a camp site and there was a line of motorhomes in prime spots along the front, on seasonal pitches; how nice to have your own home from home, with all mod cons to retire to when you've had enough fresh air, wild winds or rain. They were all in use yesterday with electric hook-ups attached.
















I hate crowded beaches at the best of times, but during this pandemic it's madness to join in with the throng.  This is much more to my taste.


Plenty enjoying being in the sea and the lifeguards were keeping a watchful eye on everyone.
















My niece and her husband bought Cornish Pasties - really, really tasty ones, according to them both - to eat as they walked the coastal path and we all enjoyed cappuccinos from the same little cafe.  While they walked, I elected to stay where I was and read my Kindle; decided against visiting Daymer Bay, as it would have meant extra car parking charges and then paying again when I returned to the Polzeath one.  It was so good to meet up even though we couldn't hug (I wonder if or when we ever will again) but at least we saw each other and chatted away, nineteen to the dozen!

A wonderful afternoon, good weather as the first shower didn't arrive until after 3pm as forecast and well worth the drive down from my home.  The drive home wasn't so good - a continuous line of traffic all the way, constant rain and spray and several hold-ups through sheer volume of vehicles, just as busy as during the summer season; I wasn't expecting that! It was good to reach home - and Benji slept through most of the journey. Last night I slept solidly for 7 hours - this morning I'm feeling the effects of all the unaccustomed exercise. 

18 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful day out and always nice to catch up with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful day out and probably the best of the week for the weather. So lovely to see and catch up with Carole and Pete.

      Delete
  2. I love being on a beach in the fall. It takes on a different feeling in me, a more retrospective one, peaceful and calm.

    How wonderful that you could meet up with family. Those times that we used to take for granted and now treasured. This virus has taught us what is really important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each season brings a different aspect to a beach walk - I especially love the rough seas of winter (from a safe distance, obviously). Although the car park was full, the beach at low tide was plenty big enough to provide some wide open spaces where there was no danger of being too close to anyone.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It really was, Mary - and did wonders for my frame of mind. I felt lifted after spending time with them and being out in the fresh sea air. And because I promised Carole, I do intend walking every day from now on. Been a little way today - and got soaked! Benji wore his waxed jacket so only his head and ears needed towelling afterwards.

      Delete
  4. Doesn't it just annoy you when, regardless of wherever you are, there's loads of space but someone plonks themselves close to you?! I believe it's often referred to as the 'sheep mentality'. I like the shot of the empty beach, that's my kind of place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was irritated when the first couple sat too close, but my Britishness made me feel awkward about moving away, but I pretended to examine something in the grass then sat a short distance away from them. But when the 2nd couple sat too close, I decided enough was enough and walked away.

      Delete
  5. Sensible to park higher up! I agree with you..better far from the madding crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So few vehicles in the higher car park, but I guess some folks didn't want to walk too far! I'd rather be on the safe side than drown my car.

      Delete
  6. Daymer Bay? Now that brings back memories. I wish I could let my Rick run loose on a beach like Benji but it would be just too risky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would he run off, Sue? It's a shame he can't run free and enjoy the play with other dogs. I had to keep one of my Collies on the lead because he was aggressive to other dogs if they came too close to him. After he died and I had Zac, it was such a huge relief not to have to do that and constantly keep an eye on him.

      Delete
  7. People are very odd, arent they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can anyone be ignorant of the distancing rule when there's constant publicity about it?

      Delete
  8. I love Polzeath! When I was growing up in Plymouth, we used to get down there early on a Sunday to get a nice long day there. As an adult, I’ve had many lovely holidays at the campsite across the road from the beach. I much prefer it to Daymer. I’m glad Benin had such a good time, he wore himself out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to have brought back memories of Polzeath for you, Ann; I was introduced to it by friends from up-country who are surfers and when they came for their annual Cornish holiday it was our regular meeting-place, along with anyone else we knew who were also holidaying in Cornwall. But when I was camping, I preferred the quieter places and generally headed further down West where there were quiet coves and lanes as well as the coastal path to walk, just me and my dog, Zac. How times change!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you, I hated crowded places in pre-Covid times, but I do like the look of the quiet spots you found - and yes, that campsite has the most incredible views.

    When I finally get back on my ‘round the coast trip’ and manage to get down to see Benji, would you please remind me of this place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will - if you remember to ask me!!! Looking forward to the time when you can resume your 'round the coast' trip and spending time with you.

      Delete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.