Friday 28 August 2020

An 'interesting' day out.

On Wednesday, a break in the weather - the SUN appeared at last and we managed to get to Kit Hill and the cafe, where we - Peter, Nic, Leo, Eleanor, me & Benji - ordered a Fish, Chips & peas dinner and settled at an outside table in the sunshine. The cafe were taking part in the 'Eat Out to Help Out' scheme, so 5 dinners plus drinks all round came to just £25!!! (It was P& N's treat.)



 However, as the meal arrived, so did the wasps, so we picked everything up and headed to another area, well away from any bins. The wasps followed. Picked everything up again and headed back to the car and climbed inside. Very quickly it heated up as we were still in full sunshine, so Peter decided to open his window 'as there aren't any wasps around here'.

Inevitably, a lone wasp flew into the car; Peter tried to waft it gently back through his window, but it didn't want to go so his wafting turned into frantic flapping as he tried to open the door to get out. More wasps arrived and his cardboard plate flew up, liberally showering us with chips and peas. Benji gratefully scoffed any that came his way. So for the next few minutes, we were greatly entertained by Peter doing a tribal rain dance, with flapping arms and high-stepping strides, all the while shouting unprintable curses at his stripy little attendants. My cheeks ached from laughing; Nic and the kids were also in hysterics as were several onlookers from other cars. Oh dear. Eventually, Peter and his wasps dashed all the way back to the bins where he deposited the remains of his dinner before returning alone.








Our walk around the top of Kit Hill was thankfully free of pestering creatures then I dropped P & N off at home before bringing the children back here for a few hours (as requested by them). We all had hot chocolate drinks then played Uno (with Eleanor winning most of the games!) 



When I took them home, Eleanor asked if she could have a hug - how could I refuse - and both of them gave me a huge hug. So all's right with my world again.  

11 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much power there is in a hug. Glad Benji enjoyed the chips, even if Peter didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first time I'd been within touching distance of anyone since well before lockdown started - and the last time the children were at my house was last year! I was so worried that my relationship with the grandchildren would be ruined, so those requested hugs were absolutely wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Oh my word! Picnics can be ruined by those horrible insects. What a shame they followed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched as everyone scurried back to their cars to eat and drink in peace. At least we know now not to try to eat at outside tables until temperatures drop.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a scene in a sitcom :) A shame Peter's dinner was spoiled but at least Benji enjoyed the chips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the entertainment value was magnificent! I hadn't laughed so much in a long, long time.
      The car still has a definite aroma so I have had the doors open to try and dispel it. Benji discovered several peas and a solitary chip under the front seats. Mmmmmm . . . . tasty!

      Delete
  4. Mum!! I laughed again at the wasp story although you had given me a more animated version of the story over the phone!

    So nice to be able to spend time with kids and Peter and Nic! I’m so happy for you!

    Tight hugs, to you and the curly wurly! I miss you... 🤗🤗🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheeja! Sorry, I've only just seen your comment; for some reason I wasn't notified, which is rather annoying. I haven't been out since that trip to Kit Hill, as I've been laid low with a tummy bug; it couldn't have been the food as we all had the same meal. Maybe a member of staff didn't wash their hands properly - I don't know, but it hasn't been very pleasant. Feeling a bit better now except like my batteries have gone flat. And lost 10lbs in weight in this last week! Living on water, toast, honey and banana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no mum! I’m just seeing this comment too.. but you didn’t mention about the tummy problem, when we talked later.. talk soon xxxxx

      Delete
  6. Your account of ‘Peter and the Wasps’ had me chuckling and for some reason, I had visions of him running away from the wasps with the Benny Hill music in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tune was running through my mind at the time! The best laugh I've had in months.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.