Monday 12 March 2018

Reminiscing

Mothering Sunday is the 4th Sunday of Lent.  Although it is more often called 'Mothers' Day' it has no connection to the American festival of the same name.  Traditionally it was the day when daughters who had gone to work as domestic servants were given the day off to visit their mother and family.
I don't have daughters and my three sons left home many years ago and have families of their own, but although they were unable to physically visit, I did receive a phone call from each one which was really lovely.

Of course, my own dear Mum was on my mind on that day, thinking how great it would be to spend time drinking tea and chatting to her as in days gone by. Although she died more than 40 years ago, she's frequently in my thoughts and dreams - even more so as I get older.
                                                                                                       






























Mum, with her sister-in-law (my Aunt Ivy) and with my two eldest sons.  She never met my youngest son as he was born in 1979, the year after she died. These photos were all taken in the hot summer of 1976 - I can feel the heat from these photos.

13 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you had calls from all your sons.

    Mothering Sunday is a time when I miss my Mother even more than usual. Wish I could call her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter the years, sweet memories of our moms always stay with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos of your mom. My mom died in 1971 and I still miss her, she was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely photos of your mum.
    The summer of '76 was the hottest one I can remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It was a summer of paddling pools on the lawn (that parched yellow thing that surrounded the house!), bowls of water and plastic cups for water play and rigging up sheets from the plum tree to the hedge in order to keep the boys out of the sun. Even so, they both had deep tans despite the precautions.

      Delete
  5. I think it is a day when we all remember our dear mothers. Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mum had a very kind face! And didn't people look so much more elegant even in the 70's - not many people dress up anymore. I'm as guilty as the next person. But the pictures from older times show how things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum was a very kind person who loved her family. Considering it was a very hot day and she had just come to see the children and have a cuppa and chat with me, she still had on a matching coat and dress complete with gloves and matching handbag and shoes. She did like to look well turned out - and we had regular hairdressing nights when I would shampoo, colour and perm her hair.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom was a lovely lady and SO nicely 'turned out' as the expression used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your um was very well turned out, my son was born in 1975 so spent that summer under various shades, it was such a hot summer and you have reminded me about the lawn! Bit different from the ‘paddy field’ I look onto today. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.