Monday 12 February 2018

A Guest Post all the way from Afghanistan

I will confess from the outset that I am a keen fan of my mother’s blog. It’s a way of keeping up to date (when she posts) of what she is up to, and more importantly, the progress that the wee dog that she has adopted is making.... he has revolutionalised her life in so many ways since the departure of what was for sure the most astonishing canine evolution that was Zac. Zac was an adored family member; totally human and entirely dog - a truly winning combination for all of us, who is sorely missed. Benji is worlds apart and yet, he has won our hearts so it was with joy that we spent a week with him and Mum in January in a cottage on the north coast of Cornwall.

“We” consists of me; middle son, aged 42 (thanks for the Spider-Man birthday card Mummy!), based mainly in Kabul, Afghanistan and my lovely wife Sheeja, three years older (though I am not allowed to mention that) who until very recently has been working with Rolls Royce and Siemens as a Project Manager. Our 17 year old son was absent - he doesn’t really do rural Cornwall (internet is not up to scratch) but in fairness, he is also away at boarding school.... 

We were joined for the first couple of days by my baby brother’s children Leo and Eleanor (11 and 7) which made for much hilarity as we enjoyed chocolate pizzas and ice cream pancakes and played football tennis ( if you haven’t tried it you should) in the rain.... I rarely get time in the UK so a couple of days with them, and a day with my brother and his partner was fantastic. I get to be the indulgent uncle agreeing to all sorts of bad habits, but taking none of the blame as the parents have to deal with the fall out.....



The weather was shocking - no real surprise for north Cornwall in the depths of winter but after Afghanistan, the rain and cloud and fog were so refreshing. We had a lovely cottage - a converted barn from which we saw absolutely nobody (bliss) at the top of a deserted lane. 
The drive from the cottage was flooded on one especially wet day, but that's when the countless games of Uno passed the time.



Benji kept us very entertained dashing around the place (and keeping a lookout for marauders from the window seat) and we enjoyed lots of cooking and card games, all accompanied by medicinal amounts of wine....



On a rare day of sunshine, or rather sky that was not raining, we set off intrepidly for the beach. ** He didn't mention the howling gale!** 

 The cliffs were amazing sculptures thrown up by prehistoric earthquakes






























Being an eco warrior, and influenced by the recent Blue Planet David Attenborough series, Mum started collecting plastic from Sandymouth Cove where we ended up. The great thing was the fact that fairly soon, we were all at it and we collected an enormous amount. The downside? No one was looking at the sea anymore - collecting plastic is seriously addictive but perhaps that is no bad thing.... Sheeja amused us all by forgetting her walking shoes. It turns out that walking in boots with heels on a rocky foreshore is quite difficult - eventually the boots came off and she hopped from rock to rock in her socks - and stuffed her boots with plastic rubbish! 



Eventually, growling stomachs needed to be sated so we headed off for lunch. There is, if you ever visit Bude, an absolutely superb cafe at the top of Crooklets Beach serving excellent lunches and mind blowing coffee (the coffee did not contain illicit substances as far as I know, it was just very good and quite unexpected). This became our regular haunt over the course of the week and Benji took to staring at my face, without blinking or moving whenever food was served, leaving me to christen him “Devil Dog” - obviously Mum did not approve of this moniker. 
 ** A note from 'Mum' here to explain that Benji stared at David because he had a habit of 'accidentally' dropping pieces of food for him!**

Leo and Uncle David bracing themselves against the fierce wind on Crooklets Beach







Sheeja and I had planned to stay for 2 nights leaving Mum to enjoy the cottage for a few days before heading home, but it was so nice to relax together and just enjoy, that we ended up staying for the week (sorry Mum!) but I have no doubt that we all had a really good break. My mother is one of the smartest people I have ever met and even at the ripe old age of 73 still gives me good advice. Being based away from home certainly teaches you to appreciate what you have, and we thoroughly enjoyed spending time together for the entire time we were there. 

At some point I must have agreed to write a guest entry for this blog, so apologies that there are no flowers, no gardens and no musings on rare plants. I also love to garden but I thought that on this occasion it would be nice to simply express my thankfulness that I have a great family, and that I am very lucky. The week in Cornwall was something I will treasure and even here, in the middle of the night in Kabul as I write, I am still smiling when I think about our holiday. Isn’t that what holidays are all about?

**Relaxing holidays are also inspirational and one early morning, when I was up and about before anyone else, I shared Benji's window seat and drew the tree at the top of the drive: it's the only 'plant' you'll see in David's post!!!**




17 comments:

  1. A lovely post! I wish my mother (74) would take up blogging. I can see how nice it would be to read of her adventures. Your week visiting sounds to have been one of memory making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read words by children on how much they appreciate their parents and family.....we don't hear enough of those words these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a great guest post and you captured the holiday by the sea and in the cottage beautifully. Quite a change from Afghanistan's weather, as you note and I'm sure your mum enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this is not a duplicate comment as I seem to have lost the first one!

    This is a wonderfully written post and a good reminder of how family times should be. Looks like it was a bracing day at the beach, but worth it to see those layered cliffs and the beautiful ocean.

    Love your sketch, Rambler. I've been thinking of trying my hand at sketching a huge tree in our back yard. I hope it turns out half as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, Jenny; it was the first time I'd drawn anything in a long time and I hoped it might resurrect my painting mojo - but so far, it hasn't :(

      Delete
  5. Great post. Benji is so cute. I love the beach photos, the rock formations are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful guest post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Benji seems to have fancied himself as a tennis linesman! Sounds like a great break for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting guest post. Sounds like you all enjoyed that lovely break - Benji looks as though he did too! It's all written lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed your guest post. Time spent with family are where great memories are made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post, a joy to hear how much a other is really appreciated. Family gatherings are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post. There is nothing quite so good as family together. Having had the pleasure of meeting your mother I know what a nice person she is and it's lovely to read your appreciative words.
    Sorry Rosie, no Kea plums this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth - maybe next summer for the Kea plums; as they've had a poor year, they could be very productive this year.

      Delete
  12. A great guest post, it sounds like you had a wonderful week with your family - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely idea to get a family member to write a post. Good to hear how much you all enjoyed your break.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.