The start of Sharrow Point coastal path:
The beach a long way below -
The lifeguards' hut, perched precariously on the cliffs -
On the right of this photo, St Michael's Chapel standing high on the headland of Rame Head."There was a hillfort atop Rame Head in the Iron Age, and the site was granted to Tavistock Abbey in the 10th century (meaning that for centuries Rame Head was technically a part of Devon despite being well on the Cornwall side of the Tamar River!). Circumstantial evidence suggests that there was a late Celtic hermitage here, but nothing is known for certain about the origins of the chapel until 1397, when the chapel was licensed for Mass in 1397. Presumably it was built shortly before that time. Like many hilltop churches, Rame Head Chapel was dedicated to St Michael the Archangel. A license was granted in 1427 for Mass to be said on Mondays and at Michaelmas."
The building in the centre is Polhawn Fort, recently voted the Most Romantic Venue for a Wedding in the UK.
A frigate (F330 for anyone wanting to identify her) engaged in sea trials after being under repair in Plymouth Dockyard.
And keeping a watchful eye on this and many more sea-farers are the voluntary members of the Coastguards, in their eyrie high on the clifftop.
There are still traces of the rails which were put into place to help transport the stone to the top of the hill to construct the Chapel, probably dating from 1882 when the building was restored by the IVth Earl of Edgcumbe; it has since been allowed to fall into ruin.
Earl Ordulf, owner of vast estates in the West Country and Uncle to King Ethelred gave Rame to Tavistock Abbey in AD 981. In the 11Century the Abbey was obliged to find fifteen knights for the King’s service and one was maintained by settling Rame upon him. Over the centuries the manor passed to the Dawneys, the Durnfords and finally the Edgcumbes.