Friday 23 July 2021

In the garden

After several days spent with curtains closed whilst flopped out in front of the rotating fan in my living room, it was slightly cooler today with a light breeze.  So as rain is forecast over the weekend, I decided that today was the day for mowing the lawns . . . . erm . . . meadows complete with leggy wildflowers. 

Of course, as soon as I had dragged the lawnmower from the depths of the garage, the sun came out again and the heatwave resumed. But I battled on, cut half the front lawn, emptied the grass box 3 times before sitting in the shade in an old camping chair stored in the garage. Phew! I was debating whether to phone a gardener to come and finish the job and trim the ever-expanding border shrubs; the postman will soon need a machete to reach the front door.  But after cooling down and regaining my breath, I finished the job - just the front lawn - and cleared up before retiring the lawnmower and garden waste bin back into the garage. Back lawn tomorrow?  Maybe? But it's so good to keep virtuously admiring my tidy, shorn lawn through the front window, knowing I've beaten the rain. Ha! 

AND  I've actually spoken to someone - a lady who walked past as I was toiling.  I must try to have more conversation; Benji isn't the best at it. 

I bought 2 Standars Fuchsias, but they are so top heavy that the slightest breeze kept blowing them over, so they are now standing in a redundant plastic storage chest, until they finish flowering and can be re-potted into large,heavy pots for next year. (Along with the Honeysuckle, Clematis Montana and the Salix Caprea Pendula Kilmarnock Willow Patio Tree.)  Crikey!  It's name is longer than the little tree!


Pretty Geraniums - many varieties


I love this shrub / tree? It appeared last year in entirely the wrong place but I decided to leave it until I knew what it was.  Still don't know but it's growing and growing. Goodness knows how big it will get. I cut a few sprays in home but the flowers fell quite quickly, so best left growing in future,I think.


Here it is again at the side of an Acer, planted in ericaceous compost - maybe the white shrub likes that soil?


I got quite excited when I saw this 'Garden Services' van pull up next door, because my neighbour had told me she was intending to have the ugly, dark conifer removed.  Yay!  But no - she changed her mind. 😞 It's still there.

And finally - a tidy lawn. Ta-da!


14 comments:

  1. Lawn and plants looking good. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several gardeners in the village, but they are all very busy, apparently. I do love my garden but this year it's keeping me extremely busy, thanks to all the rain. Brambles are taking over and I could do with a day wearing thick gloves and armed with decent secateurs. (And within a few days, they've grown back!)

      Delete
  2. It looks like a Philadelphus - Mock Orange. Does it smell really nice? We have one. You have a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sooze. I'll Google philadelphus and compare it to mine. I have no idea where it came from. It just appeared!

      Delete
  3. I'm with Sooze - it's philadelphus. By the way, Jack has the poppy matter in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I have to say that the Philadelphus has a very pretty flower, almost rose-like and with a delicious scent, especially when the sun is on it. I hope I can give the Poppies the right care to make sure they thrive, otherwise Jack will be on my trail!

      Delete
  4. Me to, Mock orange. Does it have a lovely scent? Nice lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is looking good..and if anything the dark conifer sets off your plants and shelters them! Well done on your meadow. Our front lawn/meadow has even more orchids this year and they have almost finished setting seed so that we may cut it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't very big, but my goodness it was a job and a half to deal with it. I must try to cut it beofre it grows too long' Gardens never stop growing, do they? Phew! So nice that you will have more orchids next year.

      Delete
  6. what a lovely garden.. we had loads of conifers in ours when we moved in, one of the first job hubs did was to get rid of them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same, Anji; there was a huge conifer hedge all along the front garden - a good 8ft tall and over 6ft wide, such a near impossible task to trim. The inside was completely dead, so only an inch or two could be trimmed. So I had the whole thing removed and the difference was amazing. Lots more light, not only for the garden but in the bungalow as well. Similarly, at the back, a row of conifers between me and the neighbour - and he complained about having to keep trimming his side. (His back 'garden' is concreted over!) My son and DIL took that one down, rootballs and all. The longest hedge is a lovely green one, small-leaved and the birds love to shelter in it.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful garden, a reward for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only the brambles would disappear; currently their tentacles are creeping across the lawn ready to entrap the unwary. Benji won't go near them, having been caught in their prickly clutches already. Today, I shall attack with the secateurs and tough gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.