Tuesday 28 August 2018

YOOHOO! Here I am!

I've had a 3-month break from blogging; been reading but not writing.  I hope to come back refreshed and ready to take up the reins again.  We'll see.

So today I gave my car a treat - a proper wash and wax in a car-wash.  It's ages since I last used one and I found that my closest one has been re-vamped. So when I paid my £4.99, expecting to be given a token to put into the machine, the young man slid something across the counter that resembled an over-long condom!
"Erm . . . is there something I should know about this?" I asked, leaning in to the counter.
"Wiper." he replied.
"Sorry?"
"It's for the back wiper."
"Oh!  OK!"
So I dutifully covered the rear wiper before closing the windows and heading into the unknown.
It's quite nerve-racking, sitting in the car while those giant brushes go thundering across and alongside the car, making all sorts of noises.  Both wing mirrors were bumped into their 'folded' position and horror of horrors, I noticed a full length crack in the nearside one, which I knew wasn't there previously. Imagine my relief afterwards to discover that the 'crack' was simply a hair!  Phew!

Next - some photos as the BIG thing this week is the removal of the 8ft high conifer hedge from the front of my garden.  It was planted back in the 60's when the house was built and over the years had grown upwards and outwards and overhung the pavement .  It had definitely reached the end of its life because only 2" of greenery was available to trim and the overhang was 2 feet long.

These next two photos show the encroaching hedge then what is left when the overhang is sheared off. 


 My 12-year-old grandson was thrilled to be shown how to use the leaf-blower and I suspect he hopes to be able to help again. 





"TIMBERRRRR!"


Now all I have to do is persuade Benji that anyone who walks past has a perfect right to do so - there's no need to break out into a frenzy of yapping to see off the invaders!

20 comments:

  1. Great to see you back! Those car washes terrify me but they beat getting the Marigolds on and doing it by hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right. I can't reach fhe roof of my Berlingo and if I use the hose and brush washes, I get myself covered in foam and muck.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you! I take my car to a car wash in Truro that is all hand done, I can't bear the automatic ones. And I get a pensioners discount!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go to a very good hand-wash service in the nearby Garden Centre when I had my little Peugeot, costing £7. But when I presented my Berlingo, it cost me £12 because it was in the same class as a large van.

      Delete
  3. He just wants to let you know of potential danger lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, more like a potential heart attack when I'm sitting quietly, deep into a book and his explosion of yapping makes me jump out of my skin! Hopefully he will accept that people CAN walk past. We have a Primary School almost opposite so once term starts again, there will be lots of parents with excited children, plus cars pulling up, doors closing, etc. so goodness knows how he will cope.

      Delete
  4. What a difference the removal of the conifers makes. Your front garden must seem huge now. Our back garden was surrounded by overgrown laurels when we moved in and there was no light at all. We removed them as soon as we could and what a difference it made, so much more light. My husband dug in lots of organic matter to restore the soil and we replanted with lighter, more airy shrubs and perennials. What are your plans for the space?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I HAD thought of a low Laurel hedge but after a friend showed me the growth on her laurel bushes since their Springtime clip (about 3 - 4 feet) I changed my mind. The low fence, though old, is still in reasonable condition, so I look forward to planting some colourful flowers alongside it once the conifer roots are taken out and some well-rotted manure and fertiliser added.

      Delete
  5. It's nice to see a post from you, Rambler. The hedge removal is a big job. We had the same problem with overgrown shrubs a number of years ago; they were all dead inside. There was nothing to do but take them out. I think Benji will adore seeing all the children after he gets used to it - think of how interesting it will be! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would like it very much if he could be out in the front garden, so he could be petted by all the children, but he has quickly discovered that it takes only a split secong to abscond over into my neighbour's garden and freedom! With the hedge gone, he only has to jump up on the Cornish bank and down the other side.

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see a new post
    We had huge conifers all round at the smallholding and it was such big job looking after them. We took out lots and let light in everywhere. I guess children and people walking by will be more interesting to look at too. Hope Benji get used to the change quickly although daughters dog still barks at the post coming through the door after 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he does get over it, or I'll be throwing things at him. Maybe get a water pistol and squirt him every time he barks. He hates getting wet so that might work! Better watch out, Benji.

      Delete
  7. Welcome back, and congrats in getting rid of the Leylandii. We had to fell 48 of the b*ggers and ours were a little taller than yours!

    You will have so much more light and space in the front now, but you're right not to use laurel - that can be nearly as enthusiastic! With that lovely greenery opposite you, as long as you don't need the privacy I'd go for summer flowering shrubs and easy stuff :)

    I found the best way to calm down our previous dog when he went nuts at someone innocently going about their business outside was to go to the window with him and say "good boy, clever boy, yes, someone going past" and so on . . . sounds daft but eventually be seemed to realise that I wasn't worried so he did not need to be. It was a sort of reverse-psychology but it worked :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good idea; I shall try that. If not, it's back to Plan B - the water pistol. Lol, lol.

      Delete
  8. Nice to see your post, and the photographs.

    Happy September - well it's almost here!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, September already, kids are back to school in a few days and there is already an autumnal mist in te mornings. But we've had a very hot summer and I do like this time of year as well. Been picking - and eating - blackberries on our walk today. I must take a bag next time, then I can make an Apple & Blackberry Crumble - a sure sign of Autumn.

      Delete
  9. Come on lady! How about keeping up the momentum? (Says the world's most irregular blogger.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah . . writing a blog shows me what a very uninteresting life I lead. I've had a painful hip for a while now so walking has been very limited. I'm thinking; I'm thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Looking through my photos, I've found some fairly recent ones which I never used. Another post WILL follow.

      Delete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.