Saturday 17 March 2018

Springtime in the Tamar Valley

Who'd a thought it?  Yesterday we had enough sunshine to ward off the cold easterly wind and today the snow is falling in thick flakes.  I had anticipated that we might have some of the white stuff tonight with the possibility of waking up to a blanketed garden, but it has arrived early. 
So a day spent indoors apart from a couple of short forays up the lane with a reluctant little dog (Benji doesn't 'do' precipitation of any sort) means led me to sort out another post on my blog (please don't faint!).

So yesterday I drove to the Tamar Valley Centre in Drakewalls, Gunnislake where I spent a very nice hour or so wandering around the Art Exhibition. Permission was given for Benji to accompany me, so that saved him from stressing, yapping and panting in the car while I was out of sight.
He also enjoyed a little excursion around the old mine ruins that surround the building.

























Rather than drive straight back home I decided to drive down the valley to Calstock, a small village on the banks of the River Tamar which has been an important river port since Saxon times.
I loved the tall white houses and very narrow streets - and admired the skill of the School Bus driver as he manoeuvred his coach around the tight turns on such steep gradients. 





























But Calstock is dominated by the splendid viaduct of 1908 which carries the branch line from Plymouth to Gunnislake. 




 Sunbathing, dozing Muscovy Duck.















































Passing through Cotehele on the way home, I couldn't resist buying a couple of bunches of sweetly perfumed narcissi from one of the many roadside stalls.
I love this time of the year when the Daffodils are all around.





































15 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day out. That viaduct is quite something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spectacular, isn't it? I think I shall have to take a ride on the train - but only if there's a train straight back to Gunnislake. I have no interest in staying in Plymouth.

      Delete
  2. Amazing Viaduct, thats a bit of the coast we've not visited. No daffs here yet - too wet and cold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Cornish Daffodils have suffered as well, Sue. The cold, wet weather has slowed down their growth and there are noticably fewer blooms by the roadside and in gardens. I pity the pickers, having to work in such awful conditions - sliding in thick mud and enduring the heavy rain as well as the bitter cold.

      Delete
  3. Lovely pictures. We have a thick blanket of snow up here in the north. The roads are treacherous and snow is still falling - been snowing all day on and off with blizzards. I am always surprised at places that we haven't discovered yet in Cornwall - been holidaying down there for most of my life - and still I've never been to the places in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand that, because I go camping for my holidays, always in Cornwall and still discover new areas to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those daffodils! Such a sign of Spring. We had a few half hearted flakes here today but nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just put two and two together from your reply to Sue in Suffolk ... in Canada there is a springtime fundraiser for the Cancer Society -- they sell bunches of daffodils, and I understand they come from your region. You mentioned pickers and it suddenly occurred to me that the daffs we get here aren't grown in greenhouses, but out in the open, because your weather allows it! I feel almost giddy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that! We also have a fundraiser month when bunches of daffodils are sold in aid of the Cancer Society, also little daffodil brooches are available to buy, to show support, but I wasn't aware that our Cornish Daffodils travelled all the way to Canada. So we've both learned something new! x

      Delete
  7. Wow, those fields of daffodils! Pretty village shots too. We had quite a fall of snow last night in Worcestershire, and as I type (8.30pm) it's started again. Fed up with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was pretty to see, but only if you've nothing better to do than sit looking from a cosy room! Our latest dump of snow has almost gone now because we've had a couple of sunny days, but there are still swathes of it in the shadier parts of the garden and lanes. Still bitterly cold though - I look forward to higher temperatures.

      Delete
  8. Wow! 3 posts in a month! Very impressive.... Cornwall is looking as lovely as ever. Almost as beautiful as Kandahar..... not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeky!!! I'll never manage daily posts like some bloggers do, and I've had a long spell of 'no blogging mojo' . . but I will try hard to post more often. It's just that if I don't go anywhere different to the normal, local walks, there's not a lot to blog about. My exciting day so far today has consisted of having a shower, making cups of tea, washing up, feeding the dog, brushing the dog, letting the dog in and out . . . .

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.