Wednesday 6 September 2017

Naughty Boy!

It rained during the night but has now brightened - and it's windy, so things are drying nicely.  Sunshine . . cloud . . sun . . . cloud . . sun . . . 
Unbelievably, my lawns have grown a good 2" in the 4 days since I mowed them, so I guess I'll be doing them all over again this afternoon.
And that Benji Dog - his daily teatime walk on the Moor covers about 3 miles, mostly off lead, so with his trotting about all over the place, he covers quite a lot more than that. But his energy is boundless: yesterday he suddenly took an interest in the sheep again after ignoring them since his last 'chase' a couple of weeks ago.  He was happily galloping down a wide cropped area in front of me, ears flapping , tongue lolling and a big smile on his face (I should have known!) when he spotted a small bunch of sheep trotting into the bracken, heading to the pond - so he turned and galloped after them.  I'm shouting his name, shouting "NO!" and "COME HERE!" and he totally ignored me until he saw the last one disappear into the bracken, then he steered back to his original course down the hill as though he'd done nothing wrong.  When he stopped, he gave me that 'butter wouldn't melt' look of pure innocence.  
"Who?  Me? Chasing sheep?  No way!"
Innocent he is NOT - more like WICKED!
I'm sure it adds to his enjoyment when he sees the sheep moving faster because of him.  They never do more than trot and I'm pretty sure they aren't scared by him, but it has to stop before they get 'with lamb' again.  AND - there are 2 sturdy rams in that area, both with great big horns, so if he mistakes one of them for a slightly foolish ewe, he will be in big trouble.
Ah, the joys of having a little dog who thinks he is Very Big. I must take some more photos of him, showing his decreasing waistline. 

14 comments:

  1. PLEASE KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEAD ......chasing sheep is NOT AMUSING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda - I live on the edge of Bodmin Moor and I don't regard sheep-chasing as amusing. Maybe I didn't explain properly - he didn't chase them; he turned off his course and ran in a curve towards where he could see the sheep, but then swerved back on course again. He was nowhere near them when the last one disappeared into the bracken. Seemed to me that he did it to get me going! And I fell for it.
      Welcome to my blog, by the way . . . I love to read comments.

      Delete
  2. I think all little dogs think they're big dogs and big giant dogs can't see a problem when trying to sit on someone's knee. I love hearing about Benji and his new lease of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about BIG lapdogs: I had a very large Border Collie cross who used to love his nightly cuddle, by climbing on my lap and sitting on me for as long as I could bear his weight. I do miss those cuddles! Glad you're enjoying the adventures of Benji . .

      Delete
  3. You're a great parent. You'll keep the naughty boy and the sheep safe I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try - he can be very stubborn at times, though.

      Delete
  4. The constant change in weather is rather tedious, my lawn need to be done yet again too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't been able to cut mine - it will need strimming again soon. Rain every day. Doh!

      Delete
  5. The mischief is coming out of him now that he is more fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. Especially now that he can run fast.

      Delete
  6. Oh, he knows he is doing wrong, but he can't help himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's testing the waters, see how far he can push the boundaries.

      Delete
  7. Seeing as Benji was never walked probably until 5 months ago it sounds like he's doing brilliantly. Even though Daisy doesn't even look at sheep I always put her on an extending lead around them - although I know she won't do anything the farmers don't and round here there are so many problems with young men taking lurchers out to hunt rabbits that landowners can be fairly unforgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he continues to show interest in sheep, he will be kept on an extending lead around them, or I will find another area to exercise him. At present I'm walking him close to the sheep but reprimanding him if he even looks at them. Hopefully, the lesson will be learned sooner rather than later.

      Delete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.