Saturday 20 May 2017

On Bodmin Moor; at Lanhydrock Estate and on the coastal path at Hannafore.

My two youngest grandchildren were full of energy as usual, so along with Benji we walked and explored on Bodmin Moor. The children enjoyed climbing and jumping on the grassy slopes and the rocks, while Benji was fascinated by all the small white, furry animals that were so like him! 


A long disused Engine house.



 An opening that had to be explored by children and dog alike.

 Of course, we had to make the usual hooting noises as we passed through this tunnel!

I do believe he's a little bit slimmer than he was a month ago. It must be all the walking he's doing.



Last Saturday, I met with a fellow blogger - Mary of 'Trundling Through Life'. 
She was down in Cornwall for a short time and we arranged to meet at the dog-friendly Visitors' cafe near the main car park at  Lanhydrock, as I would have Benji with me. 
Hmmmm . not quite as dog-friendly as we'd hoped. Mary left her trundle truck outside and using a walking stick she accompanied me into the cafe and sat at a table, but then we were told that dogs can't enter the cafe. So out we had to go, to the verandah.  Luckily the sun was shining but there was quite a cold breeze blowing around while we ate our Cream Tea and drank our coffee. I realised that I won't be able to go again as if I have Benji with me, I can't even buy a coffee.
However, we enjoyed all the beautiful colours of Lanhydrock Estate, especially the Rhododendrons and the Bluebells, masses of them. 






 Two days later, Benji and I were walking the coastal path at Hannafore, which overlooks Looe and St. George's Island, just off the coast.
Lots of photos, for which I make no apology - they are especially for one of my sons who works in Afghanistan and so misses his beloved Cornwall.  I'm sure he'll recognise all these areas and he can picture himself walking there again. 
He hasn't met Benji yet either, so enjoy, David! 






 A Benji tail just disappearing around the next bend; this exploring lark is exciting!


 So - where to next?  Watch this space!

26 comments:

  1. Lanhydrock gardens are so lovely. Sorry about the dog policy, I think it is general throughout NT.
    Benji looks definitely slimmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just joined the National Trust, Barbara, because so many of their properties are described as dog-friendly, so I was disappointed with their interpretation. It will save on parking fees when we walk on NT estates, but it's going to be a problem when I can't get refreshments.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see your walks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be out there again, Sue - we're very good for each other.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures. I'm a new follower - found you through a lovely relatable dog comment you made on Going Gently. Looking forward to getting to "know" you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Jill and thank you for your comment; I look forward to getting to know you, too. Do you have a blog?
      I suspect you also know the loss of a beloved pet.

      Delete
    2. I don't blog. I did for a bit but couldn't give it what I wanted. So I enjoy finding the blogs of kindred spirits and decent human beings that remind me of the good in the world. I have had dogs most of my life and love them with a fiercely :)

      Delete
  4. What wonderful photos, Rosie, and I do think Benji is looking a bit trimmer than the last time I saw him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you. Others have remarked on it as well AND I've had to shorten his collar by an inch because he was able to slip his head through and escape, so he MUST be slimmer.

      Delete
  5. Loved our time at Lanhydrock! Benji may be super sized but he's super feisty as well and I loved to watch his rocking horse run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait until he's as trim as the other Bichon we met at Lanhydrock! He thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of the Lanhydrock estate (even though he had no traffic sense and ran in front of your trundle truck many times.) I'm really glad you are an excellent driver and good at the emergency stop!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful lot of photos! Benji looks very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Yes, he's a happy little feller and my granddaughter says he's always smiling now. It's good to see after seeing him nervous and timid when he first arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are delightful and Benji is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. I hope you are feeling better than I read in your last post and feeling the benefit of the improving weather. I love those gorgeous tulips on your blog header! I presently have a bunch of yellow and red tulips brightening my living room but the ones in the garden are now almost all gone until next Spring. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are enjoying walking with a doggie companion again. He looks so clean and white, how do you keep him out of themud. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't!!! Being so low-slung, he gets filthy when walked after it's been raining, absolutely black-bellied and with black legs. I towel him as dry as possible, then the rest can be brushed out after he's dried thoroughly. He needs shampooing regularly, and so far he's been to the groomers for that every fortnight, but at £20 a time, I need to have a go myself. He's too heavy to lift into the sink so I think I shall have to try and shower him . . .should be fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I am an new follower, but I had to unfollow and then follow again as I did not get this update of a new blog post in my blog reader.

    Your dog is looking slimmer to me. I am loving looking at all of the places you have been to in Cornwall. I am hoping to move there soon myself. (return to Cornwall should I say as we lived there about 20 years ago). I cant wait to return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having the same problem of not getting notification of comments, hence my non-reply to your comment - I've only just seen it! I hope your return to Cornwall doesn't take too long; I find it a very relaxing and soothing place to live, especially when reading of troubles elsewhere in the country.
      Where in Cornwall are you hoping to live?

      Delete
  14. What a lovely post.
    Great to see your photographs ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I'm glad you enjoyed accompanying us on our walks.

      Delete
  15. Good post Mother. I'm looking forward to meeting the little chap in a few weeks when I am home on leave. I have never seen that little chapel at Cotehele before and I don't recall the garden. Time for some exploring methinks. Thanks for the photos. Nice respite from the bombs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello son! I'm very much looking forward to seeing you back on UK soil and Benji and I are ready to show you the chapel and the tearoom garden - can hardly believe that you haven't seen either of them before. Roll on July! xxxx

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.