Saturday 23 April 2016

Exploring Unfamiliar Territory

I set out to deliver an article to an address in a nearby village but because I didn't know that area very well - and it was a lovely, sunny day - I decided to drive further and explore the lanes, camera in hand.  Just look at the beautiful Primroses growing along the hedges.




 In the distance - the Parish Church of St. Melor, Linkinhorne.

Oooops!

 Obviously, these lanes are EXTREMELY quiet!
 I couldn't possibly disturb him, so I turned the other way!
 Kerney Bridge crossing the River Lyhner at Golberdon.

 And there was a footpath alongside the river - "Come on, Zac!"

 But quite soon, the path turned left and started a gentle climb up through the woods.

 We came upon fallen trees . . . .

  . . . and this one, which completely blocked the path, signalled the end of our walk
 So we made our way down towards the river again, the path bordered by wild Garlic - I love the aroma of the wild garlic and so, it seems, does Zac!


 Oh no! There's the car, but in front of us and blocking our exit, is a padlocked gate and a stile (which Zac couldn't possibly negotiate).

 But someone had peeled back the wire netting from the side of the stile and Zac managed to squeeze through the gap.






















Thank goodness he could get through that gap; I really didn't fancy climbing back up through the woods again on that hilly route.

12 comments:

  1. So unfair to put a padlocked gate at the end of your walk! I'm sure you squeezed through with Zac safely. Primroses are so beautiful at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed the stile, Elizabeth; that narrow gap would have been a little on the tight side for me! Every so often, in Cornwall, we seem to have a really good year for Primroses and this is one of them - the lanes are a picture. Perhaps there was a reason for all that RAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to just go wandering about. My husband likes to take the road less traveled but because I can get lost driving around a block, I stick to the plan and roads with signs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often get lost, but in the process I find some beautiful lanes and I think my car can find its way back home! It's so good to be retired and have the chance to just 'wander' aimlessly, stop to admire the views, and on occasion, to take tea-making equipment and sandwiches so that I can have an impromptu picnic in a secluded spot.

      Delete
  4. Rambler, I realize that I'd forgotten to thank you for those lovely photographs from your visit to Trewithin Gardens. What a gorgeous day in fine company!

    The walk you describe here is so different, yet also beautiful. I love the picture of the dog resting in his chosen patch of roadway. He seems to define relaxed!

    The views of the village and of your route through the woods look like they came from a storybook...or perhaps inspired some storybooks, all with happy endings.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Enchanted Forest"???? I loved that little dog; when I first saw him, he was dozing in the sun, head tucked against his tail. When he heard/saw my car approaching he looked up, puzzled, as if to say, "A car? Here? I'm having my afternoon nap!" I didn't have the heart to disturb him, so I reversed a little, then turned into a narrow lane instead. (I do worry though, in case someone drives round there at speed and doesn't see him . . . )

      Delete
  5. Such pretty countryside, and the primroses are beautiful. They look so good en masse when you come across them. I love woodland walks. Shame about the fallen tree - I'm glad you got through that gate.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Cornish lanes are at their best in the Spring, with pale lemon Primroses, pink Campion, white, pink and red Valerian and (if you know where to look) purple wild Orchids. Bluebells are out now and soon there will be the tall stems of Foxgloves all along the hedges. Gorgeous!

      Delete
  6. A beautiful walk! Lovely to see the primroses! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it, but was rather concerned when we came to the padlocked gate; so pleased to discover the gap for Zac to squeeze through. Retracing our steps would have been difficult for him.

      Delete
  7. I always like take different routes and explore new areas. It does look as you found a hidden and undisturbed location, it's not often you find a dog sitting in the middle of the road! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rambler, I was nominated for a Liebster Blog award so I also get to nominate 5 blogs for the award too. I love your blog so I nominated you. If you want to take part, the details are over on my blog. Kay x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.