Monday 21 December 2020

The Bethlehem Star

 I'm sorry to say that the sight of 'the great conjunction' of Saturn and Jupiter will be hidden from my sight this evening, thanks to heavy rain clouds . . . . so it's a good job I was looking skyward on Saturday when the stars twinkled in a clear and cloudless sky.  The rear of my home faces southwest, so from the back door, looking quite low in the sky there was a wonderful view of these two planets in very close proximity. They didn't appear to be any brighter than the surrounding stars but they drew my attention because they were seemingly almost touching.  Obviously, they are nowhere near each other as they circle the Sun, but for several weeks they have appeared to be steadily drawing closer together. And tonight's the night when their trajectories coincide to form the Great Conjunction, thought to be the Bethlehem Star. 

https://www.livescience.com/how-to-watch-great-conjunction-jupiter-saturn.html 


5 comments:

  1. We have heavy cloud too but hopefully we'll see it, as I don't think we'll be around 400 years time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much cloud here, and pouring rain too. I'll look later, or maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much cloud and rain here to see anything :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather is really against us, isn't it. Maybe if the sky clears in the next day or two it will be possible to see the 2 planets unusually close together . . .maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.