Friday 14 August 2020

A Bit of a Benji-Fest!

 Phew!  Hasn't it been hot?  And humid? Consequently, we haven't been any further than a slow amble along our road. After each brief outing to satisfy Benji's toileting needs we'd had enough; everything is such an effort in this weather.  I'm happy to see that over the next week, temperatures are forecast to drop by several degrees.  Thank goodness.

But this morning, we had an appointment to keep - Benji was due to have his long & curly, woolly coat removed.  Honestly he looked more like a sheep than a dog.  Take another look at him here - 

Having had Border Collies for the last 30+ years, I never knew that Bichons needed such regular beauty treatments: every 6 weeks he needs the full treatment of shampoo, blow dry, whole body clip, claws trimmed & finally - weighed. In between, he quite happily trots into the shower cubicle with me every 2 weeks (or more regularly depending where he's been and what he might have rolled in) and has a warm shower, shampoo with his special StayBrightWhite shampoo, a thorough rinse, towel-dry then ending with my best efforts with hairdrier and brush.  Phew again - and I'm ready for my own shower by then while he drapes himself on another dry towel in front of the radiator. But I can't achieve the high standard of hairstyle as his regular groomer, Suzanne; he's merely a clean dog with a curly coat.

So, for a short time, here he is, fresh from the salon and back to his guard duty in the front window. Woe betide anyone who dares to walk past! 





As you can see from the last photo, it's quite tiring when you have to endure all that prettying stuff.




10 comments:

  1. He looks so handsome! And I think he knows it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect he's well aware that he looks good, Mary! He's definitely cooler and so full of beans now he's lost all that woolly coat.

      Delete
  2. Well at least his salon was open! He looks very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They opened last week and were fully booked within a very short time. Luckily, Suzanne has a stable up on the edge of the Moor, which has electricity so she fitted Benji in for a trim and claw-cutting during lockdown; all I had to do was get him shampoo'ed on the day before his visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He’s looking fabulous and he knows it! Bless him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a surprise (to me anyway) that Benji's natural coat is so long! He's handsome either way but he must be so much more comfortable in the heat without it. It's good he's happy to have a shower at home with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If his coat grows too long, then the curls tighten and his coat gets matted. I really can't let him go longer than 6 weeks before having him shorn.

      Delete
  6. What a handsome chap!I remember seeing photos of him when you first adopted him - he looks like a different dog now! A new lease of life for him.
    P.S. I investigated the pasties by post and got 12 delivered for husband's birthday last month from Redruth. Free delivery and all received on time, frozen and well packaged , £40 - they are delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! I'm so glad that you were pleased with the pasties and that they arrived on time and were still frozen. (I knew they would be delicious.)
      Yes, Benji looks very different to the dog that was brought to me 3 years ago My post and photos from that day are back in April 2017.

      Delete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.