Thursday 20 August 2020

All Change - hopefully for the better?

What a crazy year!  Not just the horrible pandemic and long months of isolation, but what is going on 'out there'. While I read of beautiful, sunny and warm/hot days in other parts of England, here in my little bit of Cornwall there are high winds and torrential rain.  Each morning I spend an anxious time peering at the roof for misplaced tiles, having lain awake listening to worrying clatters and bangs during the night. Even in other parts of Cornwall, people are posting photos of golden sands, blue, blue sea and wall to wall sunshine.  

In my garden, I discovered blackberries ripe for the picking during the first week of August.  My greenhouse tomatoes grew high and wide (I had to trim the plants in order to get close) but took an age to produce actual fruit. Then the sun disappeared and all those tomatoes remain green. I tell a lie - I've picked a total of 6 small red ones which I ate in the greenhouse! Green chutney anyone? 

Has Summer ended, then? I think I missed it as I haven't seen one swallow this year: the starlings which squabble and gobble all the birdseed and fat balls never materialised at all and much as I dislike their greed and bullying ways around the smaller birds, I have missed them, especially the evening clamour when they descend to roost in the tall ash tree in my neighbour's garden. 

It's All Change, isn't it?  Changes galore in our way of life: in the way we work; in the out of sync seasons; in the habits of birds and animals and in our relationships when there are no hugs and kisses for or from our loved ones and dear friends.  

But there we are, we can only sit back and watch and wait to see how it will all pan out. Simply try to make the best of it and cope as best we can.  By the way, nothing much changes with Benji - it was he who discovered the first blackberries. I saw him going around the edge of the patio, pushing under the surrounding greenery, loudly sniffing and snuffling as he went. Then I realised he was eating, so called him away. Of course he took not one iota of notice so I went and grabbed him, pulled him out and away so that I could see what was in his mouth. It was a shock to see that the fur around his mouth was blue! Oh no! My first horrified thought was that he'd found and eaten Deadly Nightshade - such a relief to find that there were blackberries on a particularly strong, thick bramble stem that had encroached from the neighbouring garden and that's what Benji was enjoying. (I did a thorough check for Deadly Nightshade afterwards and there's none in my garden.) But goodness knows how many blackberries my boy had eaten but once again, his strange diet has had absolutely no effect on him! For days afterwards he checked that area for more treats but without success.  Little does he know that higher up there were more blackberries which I picked and enjoyed with a Greek Yoghurt topping!  He got the yoghurt pot to lick clean as always. 

12 comments:

  1. Strange times indeed that we must try to make the most of. The blackberries sound delicious. Blackberry jam is a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly suspect that Benji had many more than me, with my meagre bowlful! They WERE delicious and I agree about blackberry jam - beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Strange times but times in which there has been plenty of time to look at the world around us far more than usual. Good job Benji has short legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a bonus with the lack of traffic on the roads and in the skies. Birdsong has been a real treat this year.
      Benji reached some of the higher blackberries recently - the amount of rain we've had weighted the fruit down to within reach of the ever-ready Benji and he made short shrift of gathering them in.

      Delete
  3. How interesting (and sadly, slightly reassuring) to read about your tomatoes. I have the same situation in the greenhouse and if I could stir myself to get out there for an hour all the greenery is heading for the compost bin - two ripened fruit so far and they do not taste good enough to bother with watering for the next few weeks.

    When I was a child there was huge trouble as I was accused of ‘stealing’ raspberries from the garden when I knew better than to do so. It was only when one of the dogs was actually seen nibbling the fruit off the lower branches that my innocence was confirmed . . .

    Take care of yourself and the little Man. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! So it's not just me, then? So far I've carried on with watering and feeding them, with the faint hope that some might ripen but with no sign of sunshine and lowered temperatures, hope is fading.
      Thank goodness the raspberry-stealing culprit was spotted 'in the act' and your good name was restored. Lol, lol.

      Delete
  4. My tomatoes are the same, ripening VERY slowly one or two at a time, which doesnt help when you need a big bowlful to cook. I've started bringing them in to the kitchen windowsill to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd do that if there was anysunshine to ripen them, but for days it's been high winds and heavy rain. I may as well leave them where they are until the weather improves. I wish I hadn't promised my friend a supply of tomatoes as usual - it could be a very long wait!

      Delete
  5. It is always a worry about what our pets will get into, especially in the gardens. I have lost one cat and think it was from the berries of a plant. I was so upset and checked the Internet for what plants could cause harm to animals and was shocked at how many there were. I no longer have some of them and I miss my Delphiniums.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, there are so many poisonous plants and trees. I think they should be labelled at the plant nurseries if they are toxic. Recently I re-posted a warning on my Facebook page about Heliotrope - a pretty plant with blue flowers and a nice perfume - but deadly poisonous to cats & dogs, causing liver destruction. Poisonous to humans too if ingested in large quantities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We must be lucky up here in the East Midlands. Our tomatoes plants have had the best year yet. I'm giving them away to anyone who wants them. One of the granddaughters often just walks into the greenhouse and eats them straight off the plant. Crafty Benji discovering the blackberries! I wonder if the juice stained his fur! Our cat lives Greek yogurt but turns her nose up at the fruity yoghurts. Very windy up here today - my flowers have taken a beating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At this rate I'll be moving back to the East Midlands myself!!! I moved to Cornwall from Leicestershire 34 years ago for the beauty and sunshine . . . . still very beautiful but something's gone badly wrong with my dreams of the weather - high winds, rain, rain and more rain. And green tomatoes!
    Oh yes, the juice turned the fur around his mouth and beard blue-black; a bit of a give-away. I've had to put a barrier across the greenhouse door to keep him away from the unripened tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.