Sunday 9 August 2020

What self-distancing?

Why aren't people getting the message about social distancing?  Yesterday I took Benji to Pentiddy Woods, a quiet, peaceful place that adjoins the Nutural Burial Grounds just outside the village.  There was no-one there when we arrived and it was lovely to wander along the shady paths, under the trees. But then a dog came running up to us from behind, so I stepped off the path  to let dog and owner go past; Benji went exploring among the trees.  But the man stopped to talk to me about Benji and his own dog, then went on to tell me the dog's history, the dogs he'd owned previously, where he used to live and so on . . . . 

I  called to Benji and tried to resume our walk, but the man tagged on, chatting away happily.  I hung back hoping he'd go on in front but he kept turning to speak to me and stopping, so I had to stop as well.  He stayed with me all the way until I reached the entrance/exit gate and his parting shot, having established that he regularly walked in Pentiddy, was, "See you again; it's been nice to chat as we walked."   Aaaaarrrggghhh! 

Today, I think, we will be staying at home. I'm so grateful that I have a garden; at least I can sit outside with a book, watch and listen to the birds, even do a little light gardening.  I do appreciate my little oasis of greenery, colourful flowers and (mostly) peacefulness. I can turn a blind eye to the encroaching brambles and nettles, occasionally donning sturdy garden gloves to tackle both of those nasty, spiteful interlopers. The front garden is another matter as it's difficult to do much out there as Benji's Separation Anxiety has increased 100% over Lockdown, thanks to having my company all day, every day for months - so he creates merry hell if I attempt to leave him behind while I do the necessary jobs out of his sight. However, things could be improving: a dog-walker friend turned up this morning and proceeded to strim and then mow the front lawn, strim under the shrubs and weed the borders.  He also trimmed and shaped the larger shrubs - and even re-discovered the overgrown path into the front garden! A couple of hours work has made a HUGE difference to it and he has promised to come back in a couple of weeks to carry on the good work. Such a relief! 













12 comments:

  1. That garden is looking good!
    Physical distancing...be polite but blunt. No other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look good, doesn't it? It had got out of hand and it's such a relief to see it looking back in shape again.
      As for the chatty feller in the woods, I should have suggested he carried on while I hung back for a while - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  2. Maybe wear a mask even though you are outside? It might make people realise.... But I have my doubts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with wearing a mask is that I can't see where I'm placing my feet and the ground is very uneven in the woods. I wouldn't expect to need one in such a quiet place, anyway; there's rarely anyone else there. I need to make things clear in future.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you entirely about distancing. One friend rang me a while ago and asked if she could call and meet in my garden. I agreed but said I wouldn't be offering a drink because I wouldn't be offering my loo. She agreed but called at another friend en route so still wanted my loo when she arrived. I was not happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wouldn't have been happy about that, especially as you had made things very clear when she phoned. Grrrr!

      Delete
  4. Good of your dog-walker friend to tidy up your front garden for you. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He spent an hour and a half, using his own equipment and made such a difference; as for payment, he refused to take anything and suggested I make a donation to any dog charity instead. So I've sent £30 to The Cinnamon Trust, where Benji came from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks fab - I have persicaria envy!

    Used to drive me nuts when strangers wanted to talk whilst I was walking with Daisy, and that was before Covid. I think these days you have to stand your ground and say (politely) “please can you leave me alone”.
    Although you don’t know his personal circumstances . . . suppose he cares for someone with dementia and you were the only regular person he spoke to all week? It’s a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Persicaria spreads out each year, so I intend to split some off and plant it elsewhere - maybe in the back garden if I can find a space.
    I resisted saying anything that might have upset him, simply because I was very aware that we were possibly the only people in the wood. Can't be too careful, so I simply replied and nodded and kept heading towards the exit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is looking lovely! It is difficult when someone latches on for a walk, isn’t it. You don’t want to appear rude, as someone else said, he might be lonely or be on brief break from being a carer, but at the same time you want to keep yourself safe and actually just have a nice walk on your own! Hope your walks, since, have been nice a peaceful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, it's been so hot that I haven't been anywhere for a walk. You live next-door (so to speak) so you are aware of the number of visitors we have and how difficult it is to find some space. Crowded beaches - and crowds in general - don't appeal to me so a gentle amble up the road in the cool of the evening have been the limit of mine and Benji's exercise.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.