Sunday 31 January 2021

My Pfizer Vaccination

 Well that's not the best start to a New Year, is it? It's already the 5th of January and I haven't written a post about my exciting New Year celebrations . . . . 

I almost posted on the 5th of January, but once again, I drew a blank.  I had done nothing, been nowhere and had b****r-all to write about.

But - on Friday last, I had an eagerly anticipated text inviting me to make a booking for a vaccination and was absolutely thrilled to bits.  I made the booking, rang all 3 sons to tell them and duly went along on that same evening at 6.20pm.  I tell you, it was the social highlight of my year - being among lots of people, chatting to lovely helpers, all masked, all distanced, all extremely pleasant and friendly volunteers and feeling utterly safe, not having to be on alert for anyone being too close or ignoring safety precautions. 

They all did a sterling job, guiding me with torches from the car park, along the paths to the front door, having my temperature checked, identified and booked in then shown to a freshly cleaned chair and within a minute being given my vaccination by a doctor.  Finally I was guided through to the large hall where single seats were set out at a safe distance from each other where we were asked to sit for 15 minutes before leaving. 

I humbly suggest that when the New Year's honours are being handed out, ordinary people like those I encountered, doing unpaid work in all weathers and conditions should be right at the top of the List!

Now, 48 hours later, I have no side effects and with a new positivity about the future. At last, there's light at the end of this dark tunnel and the hope that we can get back to some sort of 'normal' again, especially when everyone has been vaccinated. 

18 comments:

  1. Great news! I'm still waiting for my invitation. I'm 69 and in group 5 so it shouldn't be long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it shouldn't be long before you are invited, Mary. They seem to be dealing with the vaccinations at a cracking pace now.

      Delete
  2. Great news that you've had the vaccination and even better that you had no side effects. My son's girlfriend had hers a couple of weeks ago, theoretically she's in one of the lower groups but she's a care home manager so got hers early, but she felt really rough for a couple of days afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only after effect I felt was one of great tiredness which came on shortly after I reached home. I'm a night owl, normally, but I went to bed very early for me and slept like a log all night long, not waking up until after 9am. Almost 12 hours sleep!!!

      Delete
  3. It sounds very well organised. You are right about Honours for all these amazing people who are working against difficult odds to help the nation recover.
    So glad you had no side effects. I felt better by the 3rd day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the injection was into the muscle in the upper arm, I assumed it best to rest that muscle as much as possible for a couple of days and I slept on the opposite side only so as not to put pressure on the vaccination site.

      Delete
  4. Pleased to hear you have had the vaccination without any side effects. Presume you will need a second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a second one of the same Pfizer vaccine; my surgery will inform me when to attend for that one. It will be within 12 weeks.

      Delete
  5. That is good news, and even better you had no side effects. Hope your second dose is not delayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be OK; Boris is reassuring us that we have enough vaccine to cope with all our needs. We can only believe what he says - and keep fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. Hurray, I am thrilled for you. The vaccine is certainly the light at the end of the tunnel for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it has boosted my outlook with the hope that we are at last on the way to a more normal way of life. As long as the majority of people have the vaccination it has to be a huge step in the right direction. Being amongst all those people on Saturday evening, yet feeling safe, was a wonderful feeling. To think we took that for granted, before the Coronavirus reared its ugly head. eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. great news, glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was excited at getting an appointment but nervous about actually going, after staying in home for almost a year. Such a relief to see such wonderful organisation and the whole experience was in complete safety.

      Delete
  9. Hello!

    All across the country, people are commenting about the highly professional process of the vaccine rollout. Just leave the NHS in charge and all goes smoothly. A lesson to be learned by test and trace.

    Yes, the mood is becoming more positive but there is still a way to go. We are in Budapest and light at the end of the tunnel seems a bit dim for now. But, Spring is round the corner and we can all rejoice in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope you don't have to wait too long before you are able to have your vaccinations. In the meantime, stay safe and keep looking forward to those Spring days and the chance to enjoy some sunlight and nice weather.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on getting your jab - and yes, you're right, those are the people that should be getting the honours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was such a happy atmosphere, what with people who were very relieved to have their vaccinations and the humour and smiles (even under the masks - you could see the kind, smiling eyes) of the volunteers who were excellent at their various jobs.

      Delete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.