Monday 28 December 2020

Oh no! What have I done?

I've bought some new bedding, that's what!  Two white fitted sheets and two Oxford pillowcases in a high count Egyptian cotton.  Oh my! They are so nice and comfortable and I swear I'm sleeping better since I started to use them. Really loving them!   😊

So today they were washed and tumble-dried - and they need IRONING!!!!  Ironing - the job I've rarely done since I had cotton shirts to iron.  I wash, dry and fold everything, no matter what the item.  I never buy linen clothing or anything that needs dry-cleaning; if it doesn't survive in the washing machine, then that's tough luck.  My cashmere jumper can testify to that; a pity because it was beautifully warm to wear.  But it got itself caught up in the laundry basket with tougher clothes one day . . . . oops!

Therefore the search is on; I thought I'd put the iron in the bottom of the wardrobe somewhere, but it wasn't there. I checked several possible hiding places with no luck - or maybe it is lucky, 'cos I can't do the hated job then, can I?

I made myself a cappuccino at that point and hoped for inspiration as I sipped - and it worked.  In my mind's eye I could visualise the blue and white object, standing on the low shelf in the hall cupboard, below where the outdoor coats are hung.  I can see it every time I open that cupboard door, in plain sight but totally ignored. It just doesn't register. 

Anyway, I have now renewed my acquaintance with my iron, remembering that it is a steam iron, which is very handy when you've overcooked your posh sheets (I wonder if it would have worked on the shrivelled pigs in blankets on Christmas Day?) They are now on the airer in front of a radiator in the spare bedroom and will be back on my bed later this evening.     (sigh) 

15 comments:

  1. One thing I don't do is iron sheets, regardless of what fabric they are. Why bother when they are only going to get creased again when you lie on them?? This post really made me smile, especially the bit about the pigs in blankets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, lol. I don't iron. Full stop. Not anything. But I've never seen creases like these, proper little ridges all over the sheets and pillow cases. I couldn't have put them on the bed like that; they probably wouldn't have stretched out far enough to cover the mattress without being battered into submission by a heavily applied steam iron.

      Delete
  2. I do love high thread count cotton bed linen, and find that the better the quality the less it need ironing. I am waiting for the White Company's sale....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopingb to test your theory when I wash them next - without the help of the tumble drier. A huge mistake, methinks.

      Delete
  3. I think one of the great joys of life is freshly ironed sheets, even if it is a bore ironing them. I don't iron because they look better: I iron because they FEEL better - and that feeling lasts a lot longer than you might think. I will be looking out for a new cotton duvet cover and pillow cases (I've got loads of flat sheets) in the January sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tempt me; I have a real struggle to resist the lovely new duvet sets. Far too many in my airing cupboard . . .

      Delete
  4. My daughters think I'm crazy but I always iron my sheets. I love the feel of freshly laundered bed linen. One of my little luxuries. Actually I confess, sometimes in summer I take a fitted sheet straight off the washing line and put it straight back on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've done that many a time too! Not the ironing; the transfer from washing line to bed!

      Delete
  5. I've now realised that I shouldn't have had them on such a hot setting or left them so long. Of course, in the summertime, I dry the washing outside, so there shouldn't be a creasing problem. Lesson learned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave up ironing when I got a tumble drier...im not sure i could be persuaded to get the iron out again even if it was lovely new sheets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realised that the Egyptian high count cotton creases very badly when the heat of the tumble drier is too high; it would be like lying on corrugated cardboard (as another blogger friend described it.)

      Delete
  7. I love getting into bed with freshly washed and ironed sheets. I have to iron, as I don’t have a tumble drier. Having said that, I’m a weirdo who likes ironing, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be ironing those sheets next time . . . maybe . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain, as I have a similar attitude towards ironing clothes, and similar bedding!

    I get around ity by whisking the duvet cover out of the tumble dryer at "just the right time" before it is completely dry and draping it over a radiator to finish, seems to work well enough. The pillowcases DO have to be ironed because then the cotton feels wonderful against your face, but don't despair - in about a year the fabric will have softened enough and you won't need to keep ironing. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a YEAR?????? Aaaaarrrggghhhhh . . . . . . . .

      Delete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.