Sunday 21 June 2020

Happy Fathers' Day!

My Dad passed away in 1966. He had chronic asthma and to make matters worse, his job involved working long days breathing in concrete dust, as he worked at a Concrete Pipeworks.


But in later years we moved to Leicester, where he and I had jobs in the same area. Sometimes, during our dinner break, I would go out for a walk and see him across the far side of a busy junction, in his blue overalls and flat cap worn at a jaunty angle, heading towards the bakery shop, where he would treat himself to a cake.
I would think "That's my Dad!" and get myself over the junction to reach him and walk with him a little way before we both had to head to our respective workplaces.
I'd give anything to see him again now; a short while ago I realised I'd forgotten his voice. :( 
But this morning, on Fathers' Day, I picked a lovely spray of white flowers and they are now on the mantelpiece in his memory.
Happy Fathers' Day, Dad.  Love you. x


6 comments:

  1. A lovely tribute to your dear dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful bouquet and a wonderful memory. You've made my eyes well up, too, thinking of my dad. I was always so glad to see him, wherever that happened to be.

    That is a gorgeous blue vase on your mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful memory of your Dad! I lost my Dad in December 2016, I miss him so much, but the lovely memories do help, don’t they. Your flowers and vase are lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely tribute to your dad Rosemary. I lost my dad 15 years ago but I still have my memories of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We might forget the voices, but our loved ones always remain in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.