Tuesday 30 June 2020

A Rose and Rosie enjoying the great outdoors again.

I love Roses - but I'm useless at looking after them.  I use good quality compost, feed them, water them, keep them clear of pests and diseases but despite avidly watching Monty Don, Alan Titchmarsh and various YouTube videos, I don't have the knack of pruning them correctly. Well, that's the only reason I can think of why I don't spend my summer months enjoying their beauty and perfume.
There's just one exception.
When my huge Conifer hedge was removed from the front garden (way past it's best and consisting of more dead patches than greenery) I found a struggling little rose that had been almost completely hidden under that great hedge: it had just one bloom, a pretty speckled pink one, and I felt it deserved a chance to grow properly. Large pot, best compost, regular feeding, etc. and it stood in my back garden, just outside the kitchen door where I could keep an eye on it. And it certainly repaid me for its chance!





I've no idea what type of rose it is - perhaps someone can help with that (?) - but it has a subtle, sweet perfume and the bees love it. Since I took these photos, more flowers have opened and many more buds have appeared, so there's very much more to admire. I love it.

I managed to catch the tail-end of a lovely colourful sunset, but I hoped it might indicate a nice day, weatherwise, to follow.


 It rained in the morning but brightened up by lunchtime, so I decided to get out somewhere (anywhere!) in the car to find a quiet place for a wander. 
Cadsonbury Woods



Almost obtained a Benji-photo in this shot. Almost.

Next, he camouflaged himself quite succesfully in the sun-dappled foliage.

Finally, all of him in shot!

This was only the second time we'd been anywhere for a walk since the end of lockdown and it was so enjoyable.  However it made me realise how unfit I had become thanks to all those idle days when I spent a lot of time sitting: reading, browsing the internet, online shopping (only a little and mostly things to make the garden pretty), more reading, knitting.  Now I need to increase the walking. 
Back in February I booked a week's holiday in October, still in Cornwall, not far from Mawgan Porth: there are some lovely walks around there and I need to be fit enough to get around and enjoy the area. Hopefully, I shall have some photos to share in my blog!


7 comments:

  1. Isn't that rose lovely! What a delightful find, and it is obviously very happy. I dont know what its name is, maybe search rose catalogues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it will always be known as the rose that was underneath that huge conifer hedge. I'm just happy it has blossomed and grown.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely rose and a delightful place for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cadsonbury Woods are a popular place for dog walkers, yet despite the number of cars in the car park, it's never crowded, so easy to keep a sensible distance from others.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful rose with such a delicate colour. We have just started to take a walk again and like you need to get back to some level of fitness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite frightening how unfit we can become after all these weeks of inactivity. I enjoyed ambling along by the river, but I ached all over for the next couple of days.

      Delete
  4. The rose bush looks very healthy and the blooms are gorgeous!

    I've been working more during the past few months (desk job) and my walks were a casualty. Like you said, it's so easy to become out of shape. Now my knees hurt going up the stairs again. I have to find a way to fit in my walks once more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.