Tuesday 20 July 2021

Blood test results; meeting a friend and enjoying a Grand Day Out.

 Well, I'm thrilled to bits!  I just rang the surgery and asked for the results of last week's blood tests - and everything except thyroid is very good; thyroid medication needs adjusting, that's all.  I am particularly pleased (over the moon in fact) with the HbA1c (blood sugar level) reading of '53 - good control' as I only control the diabetes by diet, not medication. I was dreading this reading as I have had no diabetic check-ups for 2 years.  And b r e a t h e.

I started my renewed lifestyle with a vengeance last Friday, meeting with a friend who was down in Cornwall  - we had wished for a dry day, after many rainy ones, but hadn't reckoned on the beginning of a heatwave.  She was staying in Paignton, Devon, so travelled to Cornwall by train; we had just over 5 hours together before she needed to catch her train back to her B&B.  I thought long and hard where to take her, wanting to show her the very best of my beloved county within reasonable distance of the railway station. I decided on Rame Head, which has spectacular views along the coast road which ultimately leads to the Coastguard Lookout.  

On Thursday afternoon, I arranged with Ben, the owner of the Cliff Top Cafe, for a takeaway lunch as I knew we'd stand no chance of finding a seat or table at this time of year; we collected that on our way through to the Rame Head parking area - only a dozen or so cars there, no caravans or motorhomes because the final part of the road is too narrow for big vehicles. In the car, I had two comfy folding chairs, a small table, a coolbox and as usual, my little camping stove, kettle, crockery, cutlery - and lots of water for Pat and myself as well as Benji. of course. 

We set up the chairs, put a bowl of chilled water down for Benji in the shade of the car and settled down to our picnic.  Prawns in Rose Marie sauce baguette for Pat, chicken, avocado and lettuce wrap for me, plus a chilled J2O Spritz each from the cool box.  A Galia melon was duly sliced up to make a refreshing dessert I can't remember the last picnic I had - it was lovely  and I must do it more often!  

After clearing away and re-packing the car we set out for a stroll along the coastal path; the wildflowers were a picture . . . but here I need to make a confession.  I had forgotten my camera so these photos are from a previous visit in May 2018, just to show how beautiful the wildflowers are that flourish on these exposed clifftops. 





Just to emphasise that these flowers appear in the Spring, not mid-July!

All other photographs were taken by Pat during our lovely day out.

Pat climbed up to St. Michael's chapel to enjoy the views from the top.  I watched from below!



There had to be one of Benji - it took several shots before Pat managed to get this one without him turning his head away!


Slicing the melon.


Walking up the slope from the Cliff Top Cafe, with St.Michael's church on Rame Head in the background.


I thoroughly enjoyed my day in Pat's company - I couldn't have wished for a better start to my resolution of getting out and about again, rather than Staying At Home as Boris demanded. I see from today's news that he's not so keen on doing that himself. 

We made it back to the station in good time for Pat to catch her train and I think we'd both had enough sun for one day. It was good to return home and switch the big fan on.  Benji fell fast asleep. stretched out on the floor and enjoying the cool air wafting over him.





16 comments:

  1. What a lovely day out - but then it's Cornwall! Well done on the HbA1c result - I have my diabetes bloods next week, for the first time in at least 18 months. I'm not hopeful, but we'll see. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your results will be really good - and if not ask about adjusting your diet instead of being told to use medication. Low Carb definitely works! Obviously, watch the sugar consumption as well.

      Delete
  2. A perfect day Rosie, how lovely. Wildflowers are superb at the moment, even in and around Truro where beds have been planted to look like meadows. Your picnic sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liskeard has planted the roundabouts and Fore street with pretty flowers, but I think the road verges out-do them all with all the wildflowers so abundant now.
      We had a perfect day - the slight breeze on the clifftops was very welcome in the heat!

      Delete
  3. Oh that does sound like a brilliant day out - and although you have not yet worked out a way of using your car for overnight stops it proves how well the Berlingo can swallow up all the bits and bobs which make a day out extremely comfortable. No hot water in a flask can ever beat freshly boiled water for you cuppa!

    Well done on the HbA1c test - two years since mine, but I don't think there is much point asking our surgery at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, I needed the reults in order to take the information along to my Assessment day for Cataract surgery next week. The nurse gave me a mild telling off because I hadn't been for all the diabetic tests and blood tests! I explained that I hadn't heard from my surgery and I had followed the message that we mustn't bother the doctors. I was told that all the tests had been carried out as usual throughout the Covid restrictions. So do ask, put your mind at rest.

      Delete
  4. Well done on the HbA1c test result. It sounds like you had a lovely day out and the picnic sounds delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy that Pat enjoyed the whole day and that I had managed to show her an extremely beautiful part of Cornwall. She fully intends to return to Cornwall

      Delete
  5. What a lovely day out. I was interested in your HbA1c result as I recently had a test after well over a year and was told I now need to take medication but my result was 44. I was diagnosed in 2000 and had been quite pleased with myself to still be on diet alone. The GP wanted me to take 2 tabs a day but I have agreed to take one a day and have another test in 3 months. It will be a different doctor next time so I will ask more questions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't see why you need medication with a reading of 44. I think I would go back and say you're not happy with taking medication and ask for 3 months in which to go on a Low Carb diet. Persevere with the Low Carb and I bet you wouldn't have to take medication. See here -
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. The link didn't take me to an actual page but I had a look at the website and have since phoned Diabetic New Zealand and had a chat with a lovely lady. I will carry on with the Metformin for the 3 months and then discuss it with my GP and, hopefully, go back on diet alone.

      Delete
  7. great blood results ! and what a lovely day out. I am glad you enjoyed. Benji is such a cute dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pat thought he was cute, too. By the way, he wasn't tied up, just got himself tangled in the extending lead, because of his fidgeting!

      Delete
  8. What a lovely day out with your friend, and lovely photos. We all enjoy a picnic and Hubby loves any excuse to get his little camping stove and kettle out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's so lovely to park up somewhere quiet, with a soundtrack of birdsong or the sounds of the sea, enjoying a freshly-brewed cup of tea (or a cappuccino). Get the comfy camping chair out and my Kindle = perfection!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.