Friday 21 May 2021

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD - almost!

 

 

I just craved a few hours in quiet, peaceful,  beautiful surroundings - and found it here. Birdsong, a babbling brook and no-one else in sight. Bliss!


At the side of the ford stood the ruins of an old packbridge and a stone footpath: Benji and I used the footpath but I wouldn't chance my pony and cart on the old bridge! Maybe needs a bit of attention?



What a great playground for children.



The stream is a tributary of the River Inny.




Be there Hobbits about?


After our wander along the stream it was time for a drink and then to relax with my Kindle while Benji had his afternoon nap.


But then - a car pulled up, right at the side of me. Within minutes, several more cars parked on both sides and people jumped out, greeting each other, sharing hugs; children running around and it was PARTY TIME! 


"Who? What? Where? . . . . "



Edward Bear, my camping companion, looked on as boxes and trays of food were ferried between cars and it suddenly became clear that I was right in the middle of a wedding reception. 
The first car contained the bride and groom, in all their wedding finery and their family had joined them in this beautiful spot to comply with the Covid restrictions on numbers of people allowed to gather indoors. Brilliant idea - just a pity that I had chosen that same spot on that particular day.
AWKWARD!
Have you ever tried to remove yourself from such a situation whilst trying to be invisible? 
I withdrew as gracefully as I could, face burning, drove through the ford and parked a few hundred yards further along, behind a huge old oak tree.
I couldn't help thinking that the old tree would have made a splendid background for the wedding photos - but I kept that thought to myself.




18 comments:

  1. Sorry your reace was shattered but what a lovely way to have a wedding "reception"! I hope you manage to get back there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go back another day - if I can find it! I know I drove through Altarnun but it's so easy to lose direction in all the narrow, winding lanes through moorland.

      Delete
  2. By which I mean "peace". One day I will find a laptop which can spell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a bit of a shock! Maybe they should have politely moved on, or at least invited you to share!
    It would be sad if the little bridge was allowed to deteriorate, I wonder if anyone, eg Heritage England, is doing anything about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bridge is past the 'useful' stage, so I guess it's being allowed to gracefully deteriorate.
      I did stick it out for a short time, with my nose stuck firmly in my book, trying to look as though I was enjoying solitude - but when they didn't take the hint I decided to leave them to their celebrations.

      Delete
  4. A (temporarily!) Peaceful scene!!
    The bridge may look a bit ramshackle...but really is probably still a lot more solid than some modern construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness knows how many years it has stood there, withstanding floods and storms; nevertheless it will stand for many more years yet, I'm sure. The footbridge still works well - I'm glad there was a handrail though!

      Delete
  5. Very awkward.....although maybe you could have hung around for a glass of champagne !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chunk of wedding cake would have been excellent compensation. Mmmmm . . .

      Delete
  6. Wherever you were it looks lovely, a shame your peace was disturbed. I think I would have stayed put! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could see they were staying put so I moved to a quieter place where I could enjoy my book and Benji could get back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, what a shame your quiet spot was invaded but you got the last laugh by finding someone even more secluded (and I would have kept the oak tree to myself too 😝).

    I don't see why you should have felt you had to leave with a red face - the very least they could have done was offer you a bit of cake!

    Just emailed you, hope it arrived OK, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! Thanks for your email addy - good to be back in touch. (((hug)))

      Delete
  9. I agree with your 'magical' description, Marleen. I don't know what the place is called, but I hope to find it again for another visit. I recall driving through Altarnun, then Four Lanes but I never saw a place name after that!
    I'm pleased to bring back happy memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mum, what breathtaking views!! Aaaaaawwww I miss Cornwall and our visits to these magical places together... Hugs hugs hugs (virtual)

    I enjoyed your verbal description of the day when we talked about it, as well as your 'ramblings' here with the magical photos lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheeja! Yes, it is a very special place - even more so when there's no-one else around! Peaceful, beautiful and just the sounds of birds and water . . . usually!

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful and peaceful place! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.