Tuesday 26 May 2020

SURPRISE! SURPRISE!

After 10 weeks of staying at home, I'm having to stir up my brain cells just to work out what day it might be.  Staring blankly at the calendar doesn't help, I found. Thank goodness for phones and laptops that tell you the date as well as time.  It's like Groundhog Day, isn't it? 
However, I have had two lovely surprises which made the days memorable: a mystery package was left in my front porch by our local delivery driver; I couldn't recall ordering anything.  But LOOK what I found - 





A beautiful crocheted blanket!
About 4 years ago, I bought the wool, intending to make a 'Moorland' blanket/bed throw, the colours being representative of Bodmin Moor, the area where I live in Cornwall, south-west England.
But after going wrong and having to undo it several times, I lost patience and the wool was relegated to the bottom of a wardrobe.
Recently, during a de-clutter, I came across it and decided to send it to a friend, Debbie, who loves to crochet and knit during any time off her busy work as a surgery receptionist. 
I made it clear that I didn't want anything in return; she was doing me a favour by putting it to good use.
So imagine my surprise when she made this beautiful blanket for ME! 
I have now sent her a surprise of her own - some flowers and assorted Gin miniatures.  She loves a Gin and tonic, I happen to know!
The 2nd surprise for me was another delivery; it was brought to my door by a lady who said, "This is sent with love from your daughter-in-law." as she presented me with a white cardboard cake box.
Inside was a Cornish Cream Tea - 2 freshly baked scones, a small jar of Strawberry Jam, 2 pots of Cornish Clotted Cream and 2 teabags of Cornish Tea.


I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed my lovely Cornish Cream Tea out in my garden, in the sunshine. Many thanks to my daughter-in-law Nicola, son Peter and grandchildren Leo and Eleanor.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely gifts...gifts of love as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived most of my life on my own, once the boys left home, but I do like my own space and I'm rarely lonely. But recently I've been feeling 'down' and anxious. These two unexpected gifts have lifted me out of the doldrums, realising that others are thinking of me lovingly.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful is that to know that you are thought about and loved. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful indeed, as I wrote to gz above. It's really bucked me up.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful both surprises would have suited me! The blanket is gorgeous and a cream tea, wow, bet it was delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Delicious, Christine! Especially when eaten in the garden in Cornish sunshine.
      As for the blanket - I suspect it will be moving from the chair to my bed when Winter arrives!

      Delete
  4. I love your blanket's colours, and what a joy to have something so unexpected! And the cream tea too. Little things bring such pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked the colours because they so closely resemble the natural colours of Bodmin Moor - and of course the Cream Tea was such a pleasure. It would have been even nicer to share it with someone, but even though Benji was loitering very close by, he wasn't the lucky recipient!

      Delete
  5. How lovely to get two unexpected surprises. I love the blanket, the patterns and colours are very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, isn't it? The original pattern that I was trying to follow was knitted all in one, but Debbie decided to knit individual squares because it allowed her to watch TV while she was crocheting. I think she did a magnificent job.

      Delete
  6. How absolutely beautiful you gifts are and they all go together quite well. The colours are amazing.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I opened the parcel it was such a huge surprise; I can't stop looking across at it on the chair. I don't think I'm going to allow anyone to actually sit on it!!!
      Benji was threatened immediately that he would be severely punished if he even thought about jumping up on it. After an initial sniff, he has completely ignored it.

      Delete
  7. The gifts are lovely and being unexpected makes them even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous gifts - a lovely surprise. We live in the East Midlands but love to holiday in Cornwall. Every so often I place an order for a few boxes of Cornish Tea bags on-line as we love them. I'm on my last box so nearly time to replenish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's a coincidence - I was born and brought up in the East Midlands and lived in several Leicestershire villages before I moved to Cornwall more than 30 years ago. Whereabouts do you live, Mrs LH? And did you know you can have Cornish Pasties posted to you?

      Delete
    2. We live in Nottinghamshire, in a small ex-coal mining town/big village, about 20 miles from Nottingham. Aah pasties - we usually get a box of 15 to bring home from our holidays - the car stinks by the time we're home 5hrs later!! I shall have to look into delivery - my hubby could live off proper pasties!! Our car is usually stuffed with holiday finds from the likes of Trago as well!!

      Delete
    3. I've had a quick look at the pasty situation - still available by post but the delivery charge is quite a lot (obviously a lot heavier than teabags!) Trago seems to be a popular place for visitors to Cornwall; my brother used to head for the 'tools' section where he spent lots of pennies!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful blanket and how lovely of your friend! I’m sure she’ll love her gins. You’re right, the colours do represent the vegetation and heathers of the moor. How lovely of your daughter-in-law to send you the cream tea treat. I’m partial to a cream tea too, although I suspect I put the jam and cream on in a different order, being from the county next to you, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - the proverbial argument about which goes first, jam or cream.
      To my mind, if I had strawberries in a dish, the cream would obviously be put on top, so why would it be underneath the fruit when eaten on a scone? Simples! Not that I'd refuse to eat a Cream Tea no matter how it was presented . . .

      Delete
    2. Same here, I’m grateful for any cream tea! :))

      Delete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.