Monday 20 April 2020

An Impulse Buyer? ME?

Well, there's not a lot of physical rambling going on these days, so rather than waiting for my next outing and the chance to take photos, I'm reduced to just . . well . . . rambling!

A few days ago, when it was decreed that Lockdown for over 70's  would be extended, things were looking decidedly bleak.  Then an email popped up, from a well-known online garden supplier; I have bought various plants, bulbs, seeds, etc. from there previously so I regularly received their online catalogue.  After staring sadly at my tubs and containers - cleared of last year's colourful flowers - I decided to splurge (lovely word!) on something beautiful to cheer my garden, for passers-by and ME. It would also give me something to do to relieve the boredom.
Before I knew it, I had submitted an order, then in a bit of a panic checked my bank balance. Phew!

But I have a greenhouse, mainly used for storing garden chairs, the strimmer and all the bits and bobs that normally go in a shed (which I don't have.) I was so thrilled to have one when I moved here, but I realised that first year that it's well nigh impossible to look after a greenhouse and still expect to go off regularly with my tent for a week here and a week there.  It results in desiccated plants!

But hey! It's Lockdown and I'm restricted to my home and garden, ideal conditions for using my greenhouse. So I thought I'd order a few tomato plants and a couple of Growbags . . . . . but somehow, other items attracted my attention.  Checked my bank balance again . . . and ended up with 2 sizeable orders. I guess I could be described as an 'Impulse Buyer'.
Now I need to clear the greenhouse of rubbish. . . er, unnecessary items . . . and sort out where the Growbags will go.

So I shall have plenty to occupy myself for the next few months, maybe a bit less reading in the sunshine but lots of watering.  I wonder if I need another water barrel . . . perhaps I'll have a little  look online.

18 comments:

  1. A wonderful opportunity to concentrate on the garden. Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to watching the plants grow in the greenhouse now I know it won't interfere with any holiday plans. A chair, a book, a supply of coffee and the occasional company of a dog in the garden will be enjoyed instead.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful plan to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best alternative to just wittering on about being confined to home. But so frustrating to live in Cornwall yet be unable to go out and enjoy it. Grrr!

      Delete
  3. I've done a lot of online ordering, but the wait is much longer than normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden is going to look even prettier this year, Elizabeth. I hope our plants don't take too long in transit, especially if it's hot.

      Delete
  4. Me too! I had very modest plans for my garden this year but lock down has meant that I have changed garden plans just as I have changed all my other plans. I haven't got a greenhouse but I have a (very) small conservatory which is lso my utility room so I'm growing loads of stuff ready to plant out in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might as well adapt to our changed circumstances and get on with it, rather than moan about not being able to go out and about. I'm just so thankful that I have a garden, where I can enjoy the sunshine and appreciate the rainfall now that I am 'A Gardener'. :)

      Delete
  5. Good for you, it will be so nice to get the garden looking good for the long days ahead. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm limited in what I can do in the garden, so it's never going to be an immaculate showpiece, but at least my containers will be colourful and the lawns will be mown regularly!

      Delete
  6. I have a portable greenhouse that now sits in my dining room and is full of green plants that I started with seeds in March. They keep me busy and give me so much joy. I have 65 tomato plants that will mostly be given to the food bank. I have also ordered a few flowers that I have ordered from a local Nursery. I can’t help myself so I understand you impulse buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get carried away when looking through the photos of beautiful flowers. Hopefully they will arrive in good condition - it's a bit worrying when deliveries are much slower than normal.

      Delete
  7. A good ‘splurge’ every now and then is good for you, especially at this time :)

    I ordered and summer flowering mystery bundle from Otter Nurseries and it turned out to be very good indeed. Enjoy your gardening, when your delivery arrives! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! A splurge is good for the soul, if a shock to the bank balance. I don't think I should look at Otter Nurseries website . . .
      My plants haven't been dispatched yet - I'm told it will be end of May/beginning of June.

      Delete
  8. Good gardening!
    We have repurposed two wheelie bins for water butts...but just remember not to get water off a felt roof... apparently it inhibits growth...the last thing you need!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are awaiting seeds too...these things are important in difficult times. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my part of the world I had no idea that the popularity of gardening had soared through the roof...until I tried to buy packets of seeds, common flowers - nasturtiums and sun flowers. After four different establishments I gave up and couldn't believe it. Perhaps I'll try my hand at cuttings. Keep your eye on that bank balance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.