Sunday 16 February 2020

This, That and The Other.

Storm Ciara followed hot on its heels by Storm Dennis was just too much for my front garden fence; I woke this morning to find it half demolished, leaning crazily across the pavement and smashed beyong repair. A distress call went out and my youngest son and his fiance galloped to my rescue.  Well they actually rode here on their motorbike, a hairy ride with these gusty winds.  They quickly finished the demolition of the damaged and wobbly panels, leaving the sturdier ones in place until I get round to replacing the whole lot. 


The stack of rotten timber in the garage awaiting my next trip to the tip.  At least it won't get blown around any more.

On a brighter note - and on a day with actual sunshine - I photographed these Hellebores which have been in flower since January and despite everything that the weather has thrown at them, are still flowering now.  Tough little things, aren't they?


The Snowdrops have also withstood the worst of the weather though it's difficult to get a decent photo as they are in such a sheltered spot under various shrubs.


 "Please, please, please take me to the beach!" 


How could I resist? This was also before the storms arrived, though there was quite a stiff breeze on the beach that day.  Lovely to stand and watch the waves, though.


 One little dog who kept a wary distance from That Wet Stuff but thoroughly enjoyed galloping like a mad thing around the beach

 "YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!"

And finally - just a random car in the car park but the number plate made me smile.






23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. A shame it was rather a grey day at the beach, but it was a pleasant wander along the shore while Benji got rid of some excess energy.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your fence, but those photos of Benji on the beach - made my day! The one of him looking into the wind and smiling is gorgeous and the next one of him running is pure joy. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that second photo of him running in the wind makes me smile every time I see it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. He's always happy to go to the beach, Mary - as long as he doesn't get his feet wet!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. He's two dogs in one, Sue - on the beach he's a bundle of energy, dashing around in mad circles and introducing himself to every other dog he can find, while at home he is very content to sleep the day away! I guess that at 9 years old, he's sussed out an ideal way of life.

      Delete
  5. There have been many fences here that finished up like yours. Such a shame.
    How happy your little dog looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be a huge conifer hedge along that boundary but it had to be taken down as it was far too wide and was encroaching a long way onto the pavement. Underneath that hege was the fence - in rather a delicate state. It was repaired and strengthened but I didn't expect it to last much longer. The 2 big storms, coming back to back, gave the final blow.

      Delete
  6. What a change you have wrought in that little dog's life. He looks the picture of happiness and health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's certainly happier and healthier now he's lost half his body weight since he came to me, Elaine. It's good to see the changes in him.

      Delete
  7. A shame about your fence, hopefully the next one will be a lot stronger and sturdier. And that first photo of Benji - how could anyone resist that little face? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he's perfected that pleading, begging expression, Eunice. Those eyes . . . . !!!

      Delete
  8. Your little dog looks so happy on the beach! I love a rough sea (as long as I’m safely on terra firma!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Ann; I have great respect for the sea having seen what it can be capable of doing. I love the sight and sound of a rough sea but keep weel away from it.

      Delete
  9. I have read about your back to back storms. It is frightening to see what the wind and high water can do. It is too bad about your fence but glad it wasn’t worse and you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Arleen. I have got off very lightly compared to the many people whose homes have been completely overwhelmed by the flood water. Homes, gardens, vehicles, farmland flooded and stock lost - and still it goes on. I think we have to acknowledge that climate change will cause many weather changes in future too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good day out at the beach even though it was a very stormy looking sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we both enjoyed the beach, though Benji did all the galloping while I walked sedately along. Lol, lol.

      Delete
  12. Been watching the news from afar and the flooding and storms over there is/has been terrible. Gosh what a mess with your poor fence! Spring is in the air for you, hope it arrives soon bringing warmer weather, no storms and lovely flowers and sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes please. I second that last sentence. Utterly fed up with the constant rain and destructive wind. Roll on Summer, I say though I hope that whatever weather is in store for us, it won't be too extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And yet another storm looks set to batter us on a weekend?..hello Jorge!!
    It's interesting seeing how plants are faring and growing in Cornwall compared to us in Scotland, even though we both benefit from the Gulf Stream

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.