Tuesday 26 November 2019

Looking back

I've been watching "The Crown" on Netflix in recent weeks, in fact I've watched all 3 seasons to the end.  It's very addictive, I found. And it amazed me that I knew so little about our recent history.  While at school we were taught about the Henrys, the Charles', the Marys, the Georges and all those fascinating tales of bygone Royalty and their doings, once I left school I seemed to be largely unaware of what was going on in the present.  So as I watched "The Crown" I found myself pausing the action while I Googled for more information - and the memories came flooding back.
In the 1970s I clearly remember the Miners' Strike and the 3 Day weeks, the days without electricity, the power cuts even on days when we were supposed to have electricity, the shortage of many foodstuffs and the awful struggle to survive on wages that were slashed drastically by being unable to work because we were laid off.  Inflation was at an all-time high and the government decided to cap wages.
My marriage had ended in divorce and I was bringing up my young son on my own. There were no luxuries.  I didn't have a TV so we read books or played games (if there was enough light!); washing was done in the copper in the kitchen and my Mum's old dolly tub and puncher, along with the big wooden-rollered mangle all came in very useful. Carpets and floors were cleaned with a stiff brush or mopped. Our coalman had no coal to sell, so we were without any heat -  we wrapped up in extra clothes and blankets and went to bed early.
We lived in a council house and I recalled hiding and keeping quiet some weeks when the rent-man was due to call; the arrears took an age to clear once I was able to go back to full time work and I was terrified that we would lose our home.
The Good Old Days, eh?
More to follow another day, if anyone's interested.
Is anyone else watching "The Crown"?

4 comments:

  1. Not watching The Crown though I hear it is very good.
    I can relate to the 'good old days' just after the war, no luxuries, and we were thankful for what we had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! Maybe I picked the wrong topic for that post. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know about marriages ending in divorce and raising children on one's own. It has its joys and challenges. And I just remember my grandmother lighting up the copper and the big wooden stick to stir and lift, and the glass scrubbing board. And I got m young fingers caught in the wringer many a time! Looking back alright!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.