Saturday 10 November 2018

The Good and Bad of Autumn

Oh dear!  I shall have my hands slapped for not posting regularly again . . . .

After rain and wind had curtailed our walking, I thought it would be good to have a bracing walk on Seaton Beach; it was an overcast, but dry weekday so it wouldn't be too busy.

The Autumn colours in the Beech hedges and Horse Chestnut trees were amazing, so I just had to stop the car and take photographs - hurried ones, because that lane is narrow and twisting and I didn't want a motorist in a hurry to come racing up from behind.  Please excuse the reflections - the photos were taken through the windscreen.


A different take on yellow lines on the road.


Thanks to the high winds, the sea was looking pretty rough and wild, so I decided to ditch the beach walk and stroll through the Seaton Countryside Park instead.



But I had a shock when I tried to turn left off the main road, which was partly flooded, into the car park entrance.  Ooops!¬ 





There was no way in - the River Seaton had burst its banks and flooded the car park and most of the green field at the beginning of the Park. 




Hardly any flowers to be seen at this time of year and much of the Park had been strimmed of the excess vegetation but I found this little crop of fungus near one of the seats at the edge of the forest.


You may have noticed a distinct lack of photos of Benji so far; he hates water, wet grass, rain and besides he had been trimmed, shampoo'ed, blow-dried and brushed to within an inch of his life and preferred to tiptoe daintily along the gravel path.  Until he spied the ducks in a huddle on the grass.   Luckily I spied them an instant before he did and clipped his lead on pretty quickly! 
So here are the obligatory Benji photos, taken in the comfort of his home, perched on his favourite pouffe in front of the window, so he can keep an eye out for possible marauders.  When he isn't posing for the camera!!! 



21 comments:

  1. Benji looks wonderful, he is a different dog from when he first came to you. I was supposed to be walking today but we had very high winds and rain last night, Leaves everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much the same here, Sandra; a very stormy night with occasional power cuts and TV reception interrupted. It's now ominously calm and I wonder what to expect next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one butter-wouldn't-melt doggy. It looks a bit damp down your way!

    Good to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks can be very deceptive, Mary. Stopping him over-eating is a constant battle - he's the biggest thief when there's anything remotely eatable around. He steals the chunks of bread that my neighbour persists in chucking out for the seagulls; he can sniff out treats in people's pockets and his appealing eyes usually work! Yesterday while I was in the shower, he stole and ate a banana skin that I'd left on my plate on the kitchen worktop. Not a trace left!

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see this today! Benji looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not far off his ideal weight now, having lost more than 10 kgs since he came to me. A very different dog altogether, I'm happy to say.

      Delete
  5. That is quite a flood isnt it?
    How trim Benji is looking now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seaton is rather prone to flooding, but it's normally when we've had storms and the sea carries half the beach up and over the roads. But this time it was from the River Seaton which flows alongside the Park and down to the sea. Seaton is in a steep-sided valley and I guess the rain just drains down from the fields up above until the river can't hold any more. Thank you for the compliment on Benji's trim-ness; he's such a different shape altogether.

      Delete
  6. The photos through the car windscreen are great, even with the slight reflections - the colours of the trees are lovely. That's a heck of a flooded car park - obviously no good for cars but at least the seagulls were making good use of it. The 'no camping' sign made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that the long, hot summer followed by a LOT of rain has given us some stunning Autumnal colours. Beautiful, isn't it?
      Ironically, I was only telling a friend the other day that Seaton car park is now FREE - from November 1st until March 2019. I hope he hasn't tried using it recently! I had to photograph the "No Camping" sign. Lol, lol.

      Delete
  7. Lovely to hear from you and see little Benji again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do try to get out and about as much as possible, even though I've given up camping. However, I haven't sold the tent yet . . . .
      I still wonder about using my Berlingo to camp out in and have joined an online group of Berlingo campers. Hmmm . . You never know, I may yet be able to enjoy short camping trips with BenjiDog. Have you put away your camping set-up for the Winter months?

      Delete
  8. A joy to see Benji looking so well groomed and healthy, our dog doesn't like to get his paws wet either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - a pity he doesn't stay that way for very long. He had a distictly mucky belly by the time we returned home, but luckily once he'd had a good sleep, I was able to brush his undercarriage clean again.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. He was intent on watching for anyone walking past, but I whispered the magic word . . . "Chewstick!"

      Delete
  10. Yes, the autumn colour has been wonderful this year and what an adorable little dog you have!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. We'd better make the most of the beautiful autumn colours before we hunker down for whatever Winter has in store for us.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had plenty of walks where the weather means we don't go where I thought we would :-( Your autumn colour photos are lovely.

    Benji is looking fantastic, I remember what a portly chap he was when you opened up your home to him. He seems to love his vantage point now the leylandii hedge has gone, and I can see why he's such a successful food-thief - the "innocent" butter-wouldn't-melt look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. Most of those autumn leaves are now providing a carpet of orange and gold in the woods and making it rather tricky underfoot.
      The removal of the high conifer hedge has opened up the garden and allowed much more light inside the house but now that Beni can see people walking past, he's on constant alert and barks at everyone. He rushes round to the hall and waits at the front door, expecting them to be coming in. How long before he realises that they're not - and he doesn't need to bark and growl all the time?

      Delete

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. I do appreciate your comments.